Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Most appealing!

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon

Re: Most appealing!

Post Number:#16 by MarisaRose
» 04 Sep 2016, 09:52

I found the most appealing aspect of "Orphan Train" to be the juxtaposition between the past and the present. The author does a great job intertwining the relevance of one character's experience with the orphan train and the other character's present reality. I think in general, the public is relatively unaware of the "orphan train experience" and this novel is a real eye opener, describing the sadness of the times.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: Little Fires Everywhere
Bookshelf Size: 189 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 360%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by AA1495
» 07 Sep 2016, 11:28

arpi05 wrote:Just like all the others, I too absolutely loved the beginning of the story. The whole concept of Orphan Trains was really new and fascinating to me. It made me realize that there's so much more in the world that we don't know about. Actually, that's the thing I llove about books, they show you a side on this world which is untouched, unexplored.

Completely agree with you on this. There's so much to learn from books and the unexplored theme is what caught my attention as well.
AA1495

Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Post Number:#18 by Genaaa
» 10 Sep 2016, 03:34

I would hope the story line and the plot themselves would be enough to draw in the public. After all, who wants to read something that doesn't grab their interest as soon as they see it. I know personally, if the plot doesn't seem interesting enough, I'm usually not motivated to read it.
Genaaa

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#19 by AA1495
» 10 Sep 2016, 11:34

Genaaa wrote:I would hope the story line and the plot themselves would be enough to draw in the public. After all, who wants to read something that doesn't grab their interest as soon as they see it. I know personally, if the plot doesn't seem interesting enough, I'm usually not motivated to read it.

Same. I'll go for a book that has an interesting synopsis. The cover and title also help, ofcourse!
AA1495

Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Post Number:#20 by Kia
» 10 Sep 2016, 12:42

Genaaa wrote:I would hope the story line and the plot themselves would be enough to draw in the public. After all, who wants to read something that doesn't grab their interest as soon as they see it. I know personally, if the plot doesn't seem interesting enough, I'm usually not motivated to read it.

I also have to agree with this. After all, why bother to read a book that doesn't sound interesting? That kind of defeats the purpose of reading.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Kia

Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#21 by Carsh_Lohal
» 12 Sep 2016, 12:47

I think the fact that the orphan trains happened relatively recently from a historical perspective, and yet so many don't know about them would be a big draw to people. The cover initially made me pick it up, but when I read the back and realized that the orphan trains were still running within the last 100 years made me feel like I had to find out about them.
Carsh_Lohal's Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton
Carsh_Lohal

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#22 by ellieonline03
» 30 Sep 2016, 10:33

Amh73090 wrote:I think the story itself is interesting enough to pull the public in. At least that's how I get pulled in to books. If the story line is good enough I'd be willing to read almost anything.

I totally agree! I get dragged into reading the books I previously read because of the story. This book pulled me in the same way. There are some genres I am hesitant to read so I usually rely on how strong the story appeals to me when I read the synopsis.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
ellieonline03's Latest Review: "Nighthawk: Chief Hazel" by C. Edgar North
ellieonline03

Favorite Book: The Devil and Miss Prym
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 122 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 125%

Previous