Most appealing!

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
Keaton
Currently Reading: The Greatest Generation
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keaton.html

Most appealing!

Post by Keaton »

What do you think will be the most appealing aspect of this book to the general public?
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I think the story itself is interesting enough to pull the public in. At least that's how I get pulled in to books. If the story line is good enough I'd be willing to read almost anything.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The most appealing part is the beginning when the subject of the orphan trains was explained. This really drew me into the story since it was a part of history I knew nothing about. It was amazing to me that young children were put on trains and given to strangers to be used as slave labor in most cases.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I loved mostly how the two main character's lives were woven together in the story. The modern day girl with her modern day problems and yesterday's child with all her hardships – both coming together in a healing and loving way. You can't get much better than that.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

DennisK wrote:I loved mostly how the two main character's lives were woven together in the story. The modern day girl with her modern day problems and yesterday's child with all her hardships – both coming together in a healing and loving way. You can't get much better than that.
Ditto! :D
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:The most appealing part is the beginning when the subject of the orphan trains was explained. This really drew me into the story since it was a part of history I knew nothing about. It was amazing to me that young children were put on trains and given to strangers to be used as slave labor in most cases.
I agree! The Orphan Train aspect is what drew me into this story. I was so ignorant about this topic before, and now I have learned, at least, a fraction of what these children had to endure.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

hsimone wrote:
bookowlie wrote:The most appealing part is the beginning when the subject of the orphan trains was explained. This really drew me into the story since it was a part of history I knew nothing about. It was amazing to me that young children were put on trains and given to strangers to be used as slave labor in most cases.
I agree! The Orphan Train aspect is what drew me into this story. I was so ignorant about this topic before, and now I have learned, at least, a fraction of what these children had to endure.
It just shows how desperate things can get. I remember attending an open air story teller's convention where one lecturer was a person who told of his family's history. His father was on the orphan train, and he and his brother were separated because a foster parent wanted only one boy. The lecturer's father was left on the train, to be chosen further down the line. He spent his life looking for his brother. If I remember correctly, he never found him. History shows us things can get a lot worse - something we all should keep in mind.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

DennisK wrote:
hsimone wrote:
It just shows how desperate things can get. I remember attending an open air story teller's convention where one lecturer was a person who told of his family's history. His father was on the orphan train, and he and his brother were separated because a foster parent wanted only one boy. The lecturer's father was left on the train, to be chosen further down the line. He spent his life looking for his brother. If I remember correctly, he never found him. History shows us things can get a lot worse - something we all should keep in mind.
Thank you for sharing that story. Wow. It amazes me how fortunate many of us are. You are completely right - "History shows us things can get a lot worse - something we all should keep in mind."
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
arpi05
Currently Reading: Looking for Alaska
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arpi05.html

Post by arpi05 »

Just like all the others, I too absolutely loved the beginning of the story. The whole concept of Orphan Trains was really new and fascinating to me. It made me realize that there's so much more in the world that we don't know about. Actually, that's the thing I llove about books, they show you a side on this world which is untouched, unexplored.
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

DennisK wrote:
I loved mostly how the two main character's lives were woven together in the story. The modern day girl with her modern day problems and yesterday's child with all her hardships – both coming together in a healing and loving way. You can't get much better than that.
I agree with you - it makes a beautiful story!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I think something very appealing about this book is the fact that it explores a topic that many people are not educated about. Rather than simply being taught about it however, readers get to experience it through the narrative almost as if they had the experience themselves.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I just wanted you guys to know the first time I heard of this book I shied away from it. Once I read all the comments it made me interested to read it. My mom even said the same thing that she shied away from it but now I have her interested as well. So thank you for all the comments. I am looking forward to a good book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I feel like the writing would be very engaging, especially since the story is addressing a topic that is not very well-known. The story's themes were very powerful as well, and I feel like they would definitely appeal to people who wanted to know more about history, but in a powerful narrative style that would feel like people were living the story and not just reading about it.
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

I agree!
I had known a little about this topic; it was referenced in a book I read a while back called Austerlitz. But that was the first I had read of these orphan trains.
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I love historical fictions; I always have. What I like the most about this specific kind of novel is that it often reveals some part of history that is never taught. I honestly had no idea that children were shipped off in this way. While I'm sure the children's aid society had good intentions when they started this program, I can't help but see massive flaws in the plan. I think knowing that this story isn't too far from the truth in many cases is what appeals to people.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”