Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » "Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Which character or story line did you like least?

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon

Re: Which character or story line did you like least?

Post Number:#16 by CatInTheHat
» 27 Jul 2016, 09:44

Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
I didn't like Dina either, she was a little like Mrs. Grote in how she seemed to not even attempt to get along with her foster child and they were both very self centered. I don't know how Ralph could live with that.

If there were a sequel, I think we might find that Ralph and Dina didn't make it as a couple.

I agree, I was surprised they made it as far as they did! Unless Molly brought out the ugly side of Dina, but I highly doubt that. So in a way I also agree that Dina was unbelievable to some extent since she was so mean for no reason most of the time.

I got the impression that it wasn't her idea to foster.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Persian Woman" by Thomas Booker
CatInTheHat

Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 385 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 25%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Serena [Poetree]
» 27 Jul 2016, 12:14

I wish I could bring a fresh opinion to this thread, but Mr. and Mrs. Grote really were horrible! Despite all of the many sad scenes in Orphan Train, the Grotes had to be the low point. Even Dina was a more suitable foster parent, and she wasn't a very good one!
Serena [Poetree]'s Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Serena [Poetree]

Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 637 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#18 by Mlarson
» 29 Jul 2016, 17:17

I disliked the Grotes as well, however the Children's Aid Society was the beginning of the issues. If they would have taken the time to interview families that were interested in adopting an orphan and followed up more closely there would have been far less children that would have been abused or treated less than human.
Mlarson

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#19 by rssllue
» 29 Jul 2016, 22:54

It seems like for many it is a lot easier to set up an organization (like the Children's Aid Society) than it is to effectively run it. When the effort and sacrifice is not there, then even the most well meaning thoughts and ideas fall so short because of a lack of true effort to make the ideals into a reality.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue's Latest Review: "Lost Bastards" by L. Todd Wood
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 338 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 24%

Post Number:#20 by CatInTheHat
» 30 Jul 2016, 07:37

rssllue wrote:It seems like for many it is a lot easier to set up an organization (like the Children's Aid Society) than it is to effectively run it. When the effort and sacrifice is not there, then even the most well meaning thoughts and ideas fall so short because of a lack of true effort to make the ideals into a reality.

So very true. I think that people often don't realize just how much sacrifice and commitment is involved when they begin such endeavors, which leads to lower success rates.

CatInTheHat

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#21 by Taylor Razzani
» 31 Jul 2016, 19:56

CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
If there were a sequel, I think we might find that Ralph and Dina didn't make it as a couple.

I agree, I was surprised they made it as far as they did! Unless Molly brought out the ugly side of Dina, but I highly doubt that. So in a way I also agree that Dina was unbelievable to some extent since she was so mean for no reason most of the time.

Oh most definitely!
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#22 by braver
» 01 Aug 2016, 10:37

Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:

Oh most definitely!

I don't think it really would have fit the story, but I think a tiny bit more insight into Ralph and Dina would have been excellent. I feel like there are so many questions about them and how they got into this situation. Did Dina never want to foster? Or, knowing some people who foster, has Dina's heart been broken by the system too many times? What is her relationship with her husband like without Molly's presence? Maybe a conversation between them that Molly overhears would have been enough. Largely irrelevant to the story, yes, but it makes me curious!
braver's Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
braver

Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#23 by kio
» 01 Aug 2016, 23:19

I wasn't a fan of a lot of the adults, but Dina definitely rubbed me the wrong way the most. She just seemed really mean.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
kio
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: Evermore
Currently Reading: Bone Gap
Bookshelf Size: 538 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition

Post Number:#24 by Momlovesbooks
» 02 Aug 2016, 08:02

I agree with many others, in that the Grotes were the most despicable characters. I felt so sad for their biological children. They should never have been allowed to foster another child. The system really failed in that area. In the present day scenario, I did not care for Dina. She was selfish and hateful. Her husband should have stood up to her and protected Molly from her verbal abuse. I'm not sure what her motives were for fostering a child, other than the money payments.
Momlovesbooks's Latest Review: "Deacon's Winter" by Roger Burgraff
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 205 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#25 by CatInTheHat
» 02 Aug 2016, 08:34

Momlovesbooks wrote:I agree with many others, in that the Grotes were the most despicable characters. I felt so sad for their biological children. They should never have been allowed to foster another child. The system really failed in that area. In the present day scenario, I did not care for Dina. She was selfish and hateful. Her husband should have stood up to her and protected Molly from her verbal abuse. I'm not sure what her motives were for fostering a child, other than the money payments.

It really bothered me that Ralph didn't stand up for Molly when Dina was so ugly.

CatInTheHat

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#26 by Paliden
» 02 Aug 2016, 18:16

The Grotes were horrible! Reminds me of a documentary I saw once about a girl that was fostered with a friend's family and ended up dying. It seems so unfair, because you know that there definitely were cases like this and continue to be so today.
Paliden's Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Paliden

Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1025 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books

Post Number:#27 by bookowlie
» 03 Aug 2016, 18:34

Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
I didn't like Dina either, she was a little like Mrs. Grote in how she seemed to not even attempt to get along with her foster child and they were both very self centered. I don't know how Ralph could live with that.

I agree that Dina seemed so unbelievable. I wondered if she was a little jealous of Molly since Ralph was nice to Molly.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#28 by hsimone
» 05 Aug 2016, 06:33

I think many here have stated my thoughts exactly. The Grotes were the worst characters in the story. So irresponsible and frankly disgusting. Reading about Vivian's time there have been my least favorite parts, so far. (I'm still reading)

That's a good point, bookowlie. I wonder if Dina is a little jealous of Molly because of how nice Ralph is to Molly?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Paint The Storm" by Dawn V. Cahill
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Post Number:#29 by Taylor Razzani
» 07 Aug 2016, 10:02

braver wrote:
I don't think it really would have fit the story, but I think a tiny bit more insight into Ralph and Dina would have been excellent. I feel like there are so many questions about them and how they got into this situation. Did Dina never want to foster? Or, knowing some people who foster, has Dina's heart been broken by the system too many times? What is her relationship with her husband like without Molly's presence? Maybe a conversation between them that Molly overhears would have been enough. Largely irrelevant to the story, yes, but it makes me curious!

Yeah, that wouldn't have hurt! Just a little insight to make us see a bit more into their life and make their relationship more believable. Maybe a littlw irrelevant but your idea is good, it could have just been a little scene and that's all. I didn't really think of a lot of your questions, but now I'm curious about them too!
Taylor Razzani's Latest Review: "My Life Before" by Terrell L. Frazier
Taylor Razzani

Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)
Currently Reading: The End in All Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 55 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#30 by alwaysdaddygirl
» 08 Aug 2016, 20:16

Aloha,

I do not like the character Jennifer Stone. She is from the Jesse Jones series of Robert B Parker. She is the ex wife. She treated Jesse like garbage. That piss me off. Jesse is a great guy. He is mysterious. He love his job. Blessings.
alwaysdaddygirl's Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
alwaysdaddygirl

Currently Reading: born of father
Bookshelf Size: 120 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 24%

PreviousNext