Which character or story line did you like least?

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Which character or story line did you like least?

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
I didn't like Dina either, she was a little like Mrs. Grote in how she seemed to not even attempt to get along with her foster child and they were both very self centered. I don't know how Ralph could live with that.
If there were a sequel, I think we might find that Ralph and Dina didn't make it as a couple.
I agree, I was surprised they made it as far as they did! Unless Molly brought out the ugly side of Dina, but I highly doubt that. So in a way I also agree that Dina was unbelievable to some extent since she was so mean for no reason most of the time.

I got the impression that it wasn't her idea to foster.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

I wish I could bring a fresh opinion to this thread, but Mr. and Mrs. Grote really were horrible! Despite all of the many sad scenes in Orphan Train, the Grotes had to be the low point. Even Dina was a more suitable foster parent, and she wasn't a very good one!
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Mlarson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mlarson »

I disliked the Grotes as well, however the Children's Aid Society was the beginning of the issues. If they would have taken the time to interview families that were interested in adopting an orphan and followed up more closely there would have been far less children that would have been abused or treated less than human.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It seems like for many it is a lot easier to set up an organization (like the Children's Aid Society) than it is to effectively run it. When the effort and sacrifice is not there, then even the most well meaning thoughts and ideas fall so short because of a lack of true effort to make the ideals into a reality.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

rssllue wrote:It seems like for many it is a lot easier to set up an organization (like the Children's Aid Society) than it is to effectively run it. When the effort and sacrifice is not there, then even the most well meaning thoughts and ideas fall so short because of a lack of true effort to make the ideals into a reality.

So very true. I think that people often don't realize just how much sacrifice and commitment is involved when they begin such endeavors, which leads to lower success rates.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
If there were a sequel, I think we might find that Ralph and Dina didn't make it as a couple.
I agree, I was surprised they made it as far as they did! Unless Molly brought out the ugly side of Dina, but I highly doubt that. So in a way I also agree that Dina was unbelievable to some extent since she was so mean for no reason most of the time.

Oh most definitely!
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:
Oh most definitely!
I don't think it really would have fit the story, but I think a tiny bit more insight into Ralph and Dina would have been excellent. I feel like there are so many questions about them and how they got into this situation. Did Dina never want to foster? Or, knowing some people who foster, has Dina's heart been broken by the system too many times? What is her relationship with her husband like without Molly's presence? Maybe a conversation between them that Molly overhears would have been enough. Largely irrelevant to the story, yes, but it makes me curious!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I wasn't a fan of a lot of the adults, but Dina definitely rubbed me the wrong way the most. She just seemed really mean.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I agree with many others, in that the Grotes were the most despicable characters. I felt so sad for their biological children. They should never have been allowed to foster another child. The system really failed in that area. In the present day scenario, I did not care for Dina. She was selfish and hateful. Her husband should have stood up to her and protected Molly from her verbal abuse. I'm not sure what her motives were for fostering a child, other than the money payments.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Momlovesbooks wrote:I agree with many others, in that the Grotes were the most despicable characters. I felt so sad for their biological children. They should never have been allowed to foster another child. The system really failed in that area. In the present day scenario, I did not care for Dina. She was selfish and hateful. Her husband should have stood up to her and protected Molly from her verbal abuse. I'm not sure what her motives were for fostering a child, other than the money payments.
It really bothered me that Ralph didn't stand up for Molly when Dina was so ugly.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

The Grotes were horrible! Reminds me of a documentary I saw once about a girl that was fostered with a friend's family and ended up dying. It seems so unfair, because you know that there definitely were cases like this and continue to be so today.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Taylor Razzani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
I didn't like Dina either, she was a little like Mrs. Grote in how she seemed to not even attempt to get along with her foster child and they were both very self centered. I don't know how Ralph could live with that.
I agree that Dina seemed so unbelievable. I wondered if she was a little jealous of Molly since Ralph was nice to Molly.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think many here have stated my thoughts exactly. The Grotes were the worst characters in the story. So irresponsible and frankly disgusting. Reading about Vivian's time there have been my least favorite parts, so far. (I'm still reading)

That's a good point, bookowlie. I wonder if Dina is a little jealous of Molly because of how nice Ralph is to Molly?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

braver wrote:
I don't think it really would have fit the story, but I think a tiny bit more insight into Ralph and Dina would have been excellent. I feel like there are so many questions about them and how they got into this situation. Did Dina never want to foster? Or, knowing some people who foster, has Dina's heart been broken by the system too many times? What is her relationship with her husband like without Molly's presence? Maybe a conversation between them that Molly overhears would have been enough. Largely irrelevant to the story, yes, but it makes me curious!
Yeah, that wouldn't have hurt! Just a little insight to make us see a bit more into their life and make their relationship more believable. Maybe a littlw irrelevant but your idea is good, it could have just been a little scene and that's all. I didn't really think of a lot of your questions, but now I'm curious about them too!
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Aloha,

I do not like the character Jennifer Stone. She is from the Jesse Jones series of Robert B Parker. She is the ex wife. She treated Jesse like garbage. That piss me off. Jesse is a great guy. He is mysterious. He love his job. Blessings.

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”