Whose story line did you like best and why?

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Re: Whose story line did you like best and why?

Post by Jojowrites4All »

bookowlie wrote:I totally agree. I felt that Molly's storyline was more of a plot device to connect the Orphan Train plot to the present, and didn't shine like Vivian's story.

Spot on!
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Laura19804
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: A history of the world in 100 objects
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Laura19804 »

I think "the reason for it to be told" is a great point klbradley, I think there is a contrast for nearly every point in vivians story in Molly's brief entries- food, clothes, travel, work (Molly mentions looking after children and cats) boyfriends, loosing virginity (alongside attack made on Vivian) Until after she has heard vivians story, molly tries to protect herself- she isn't true to her character (says she doesn't like putting on clothes and makeup) she is deliberately none communicative and hard, yet changes through knowing Vivian
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

klbradley wrote:I agree with Laura19804. Molly's story seems to be there to give more of an effect to Vivian's story and have a reason for it to be told.
I agree. Molly's story served as a vehicle for Vivian's. Without Molly's tale, we wouldn't get to the meat of the book which is Vivian's story. Both were good, just in different ways. While Vivian's end in a very bittersweet manner, Molly's still ends with a bit of hope; like it's not yet completed and open to the possibility of a happy ending.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Shelle wrote:While Vivian's end in a very bittersweet manner, Molly's still ends with a bit of hope; like it's not yet completed and open to the possibility of a happy ending.
Yes, exactly! Molly's story is by no means complete, and I think it is safe to assume that her time with Vivian will have helped her rewrite the direction her story will take.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Laura19804 wrote:I think "the reason for it to be told" is a great point klbradley, I think there is a contrast for nearly every point in vivians story in Molly's brief entries- food, clothes, travel, work (Molly mentions looking after children and cats) boyfriends, loosing virginity (alongside attack made on Vivian) Until after she has heard vivians story, molly tries to protect herself- she isn't true to her character (says she doesn't like putting on clothes and makeup) she is deliberately none communicative and hard, yet changes through knowing Vivian
Good points! Actually, I didn't pick up all the nuances you did. I just noticed the general connection that they were both neglected, treated poorly (Molly by her foster mom), and felt unloved.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Definitely Vivian's. Her story hooked me from the first chapter and I kept looking forward to her chapters to see what was going to happen. Though I didn't mind Molly's story and enjoyed seeing parallels between the two and the impact Vivian and her story were having on her.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I enjoyed Vivian's storyline and felt as if Molly was a connecting piece to help bridge the past and present. I loved reading the historical references in Vivian's story. I agree with many other's opinions about Dina. She distracted from Molly's storyline and was an obnoxious character.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

To me, Vivian's story really stood out, but I agree that Molly's story gave it more depth and purpose. For me, I felt more engaged by the modern aspect of their stories.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I enjoyed Molly's storyline better. I am a very big fan of Young Adult literature, so I found the straightforward and informal narrative voice quite appealing.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Eatsleaves wrote:I'm in agreement with bookowlie and KAV. Molly's story lacked the drama and engagement that Niamh's story had. Perhaps this was necessarily so? I too was annoyed by Dina's character. She seemed overly immature to have chosen to be a foster parent. Yes, there are foster parents who decide to take children into their home solely for the money involved, but Dina's obvious disgust for Molly and her overall antagonistic behavior seemed over the top.

I agree completely!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kio wrote:To me, Vivian's story really stood out, but I agree that Molly's story gave it more depth and purpose. For me, I felt more engaged by the modern aspect of their stories.
Hearing about other people's perspectives is one of the main reasons I love these BOTM discussions. For me, the present day Molly storyline interrupted the main storyline. I would have preferred the entire book to be about Niamh/Dorothy/Vivian's story.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:I totally agree. I felt that Molly's storyline was more of a plot device to connect the Orphan Train plot to the present, and didn't shine like Vivian's story.
At this point in the story, I must say I agree with this. I am enjoying Vivian's storyline much more so than Molly's.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I think this book would make a great movie or TV mini-series. However, I think it would be too busy if the movie had Molly's home life in detail. It would be better if she was just a girl that helped Vivian, so there could be a way to have flashbacks to Vivian's childhood.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I too agree that Vivian's storyline was better. The whole point of the book was to tell her story, but I still liked Molly. Her life showed the similarities and differences between the current foster system and the Orphan Train practice. She proves that though things have changed much since the trains system was stopped, there is still so much we as a society need to do. In Molly's POV, only Dina annoyed the life out of me. But sometimes people really have very low tolerance levels. So even she was realistic, if not likable.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:I think this book would make a great movie or TV mini-series. However, I think it would be too busy if the movie had Molly's home life in detail. It would be better if she was just a girl that helped Vivian, so there could be a way to have flashbacks to Vivian's childhood.
This is actually an interesting idea. I would absolutely watch this movie/TV mini-series! :tiphat: I also like the idea of Molly being a girl that just helps rather than giving too much detail of her background.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”