Overall Opinion and Thoughts about Orphan Train

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
jayharris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall Opinion and Thoughts about Orphan Train

Post by jayharris »

I look forward to giving it a read.
HoldenCaufieldsMom
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holdencaufieldsmom.html

Post by HoldenCaufieldsMom »

It was an amazing book and seemed to be historically accurate. The author was able to open reader's up to a historical time period by tying it in with the present. It's amazing to see how the past and present are polar opposites, but come together and create bonds between two dichotomous people. It really opened me up to learning about the Irish potato famine from an immigrant's point of view, versus my own American point of view.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I enjoyed the wild ride of rollercoaster of emotions this story evoked in me. A great read!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
linekela
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linekela.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by linekela »

I loved it soo much but left me with more questions I wanted to read the meet of Vivian and Sarah. Like their first hug and encounter. The book is very captivating though and rank higher on my lost
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I enjoyed learning about a piece of history I was unfamiliar with. I enjoyed Vivian's flashbacks. They were heartfelt and emotional. It was hard to imagine the fear, loneliness, and heartache so many orphans experienced during that time. I agree that the ending seemed a little too neat and convenient. Overall, I liked that Vivian (and Molly) had a happy ending, considering so many of the orphan train children probably did not fare as well.
shuffman2009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shuffman2009.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by shuffman2009 »

I really liked this book. I would rank it a 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the back and forth in the narrative and how the two stories came together. And it was a learning experience for me. Before reading this book I didn't even know there was such a thing as an orphan train. Seeing how this experience is so much like todays foster care system and delving into the not so pretty side of that world was interesting. The bond that Sarah and Vivian share is unlike any other and the way they come together is so unique, it makes you want to go talk to the old lady down the road for a bit.

I would highly recommend this book!
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

This book reminded me why I love historical fiction. I've gotten so tired of all of the historical romances that I hardly ever read historical novels at all any more! Vivian's story, of course, was my favorite. I didn't know anything about orphan trains before reading this book--it opened up a whole new piece of our country's past to me. And I loved the parallel that Molly's story drew, enabling us to compare the current foster system with what Vivian experienced. While things have improved, they certainly aren't perfect. However, I did feel that Molly was a bit cliche, and as others have said, the ending didn't quite sit well with me. It seemed too easy, and a bit rushed, perhaps. Did I cry? Absolutely.

Despite its shortcomings, I would heartily recommend Orphan Train to just about anyone! It falls into the categories of both contemporary and historical, and it tells a beautiful story that, though labeled fiction, describes the lives of so many people.
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Serena [Poetree] wrote:This book reminded me why I love historical fiction. I've gotten so tired of all of the historical romances that I hardly ever read historical novels at all any more! Vivian's story, of course, was my favorite. I didn't know anything about orphan trains before reading this book--it opened up a whole new piece of our country's past to me. And I loved the parallel that Molly's story drew, enabling us to compare the current foster system with what Vivian experienced. While things have improved, they certainly aren't perfect. However, I did feel that Molly was a bit cliche, and as others have said, the ending didn't quite sit well with me. It seemed too easy, and a bit rushed, perhaps. Did I cry? Absolutely.

Despite its shortcomings, I would heartily recommend Orphan Train to just about anyone! It falls into the categories of both contemporary and historical, and it tells a beautiful story that, though labeled fiction, describes the lives of so many people.
Good points! The book was a great example of historical fiction - bringing history to life in an interesting story instead of a cheesy romance set in the past. I loved learning about the orphan trains, something I knew nothing about.

I agree with you that the ending felt rushed and tied up a little too neatly.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I am about a quarter of the way through it and have really enjoyed it so far. I have been able to sink in it more easily than I have with other books like it.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

This was a 4 out of 4 stars book for me. Yes, I'd have liked the end to have changed a bit. In my opinion, the novel should have ended with Vivian telling Molly that she'd consider looking for her daughter provided she helped her in the search. But apart from that, I loved everything else. The characters were easy to identify with, the plot was coherent and interesting, and the writing was beautiful.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

I was initially drawn to this book based on the premise. I knew only a little about the orphan trains, so I was interested in learning more from that. And like Molly, I've also done community service helping other people clean out their houses. We've definitely found some interesting old heirlooms and I've heard a lot of stories, some sad, others happy, most giving a unique insight into certain bits of history. Hearing first-hand (or second-hand, depending on whether the tales were passed down from older relatives) accounts is so much better than learning from a textbook! I've always been drawn to historical fiction, and this book was no disappointment :)
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Like others have mentioned, I don't think I ever really knew about orphan trains prior to reading this book. Therefore, I appreciate being able to learn about them and experience some of the hardships children faced.

I ended up giving this book a 3/4 star rating due to a couple of reasons. I felt some of Molly's background was out of place with the story. I'm not sure if I wanted more to balance the two stories or less to let Vivian's story shine more. Also, I felt Vivian's last chapter in her early years to have been rushed. There was so much that happened: Finding Dutchy, getting engaged, pregnant, he's off to war, he dies, gives up her baby for adoption...Maybe it was meant to be a snapshot of early twenties, but I think I still would've liked it to be a bit slower.

Overall, I'm happy Orphan Train was July's BOTM. It was very enjoyable!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

hsimone wrote:Like others have mentioned, I don't think I ever really knew about orphan trains prior to reading this book. Therefore, I appreciate being able to learn about them and experience some of the hardships children faced.

I ended up giving this book a 3/4 star rating due to a couple of reasons. I felt some of Molly's background was out of place with the story. I'm not sure if I wanted more to balance the two stories or less to let Vivian's story shine more. Also, I felt Vivian's last chapter in her early years to have been rushed. There was so much that happened: Finding Dutchy, getting engaged, pregnant, he's off to war, he dies, gives up her baby for adoption...Maybe it was meant to be a snapshot of early twenties, but I think I still would've liked it to be a bit slower.

Good points. I agree that there was a rushed timeline at a certain point for Vivian's story. When I have recommended this book to others, I tell them it's a really good book about a unique topic in history. I also tell them it was a very good book that would have been great in the hands of another author. I liked it very much, but I felt it was less than wonderful.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
hsimone wrote:Like others have mentioned, I don't think I ever really knew about orphan trains prior to reading this book. Therefore, I appreciate being able to learn about them and experience some of the hardships children faced.

Good points. I agree that there was a rushed timeline at a certain point for Vivian's story. When I have recommended this book to others, I tell them it's a really good book about a unique topic in history. I also tell them it was a very good book that would have been great in the hands of another author. I liked it very much, but I felt it was less than wonderful.
I agree! I loved the book despite its shortcomings though and rated it 4 stars. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:

Thank you, bookowlie. I definitely enjoyed the historical aspect of the book, and was glad that I had the chance to read it. I haven't had the chance to recommend it to anyone yet, but I would be curious on what some of other book friends would think of it.

-- 11 Aug 2016, 12:54 --
gali wrote:
I agree! I loved the book despite its shortcomings though and rated it 4 stars. 8)
Definitely was a read that I'm happy I gave it a try! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”