Clean fantasy or historical fiction

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Kdefaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdefaye.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Clean fantasy or historical fiction

Post by Kdefaye »

I love fantasy and historical fiction, but don't like foul language and sex 'scenes' found in books written for adults. As a resuIt, I tend to read a lot of YA, but would like to find books with adult main characters. Any suggestions?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Kdefaye wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 14:30 I love fantasy and historical fiction, but don't like foul language and sex 'scenes' found in books written for adults. As a resuIt, I tend to read a lot of YA, but would like to find books with adult main characters. Any suggestions?
Have you tried Katherine Arden's Winternight trilogy?
They could be considered borderline YA, but they don't read like it.

Also, The Chess Garden by Brooks Hansen. Sort of historical magical realism.

Also also, The Ocean at the End of the Lane or Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (can't say much about his other books as I haven't read them yet, but neither of those really have any of that in them.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Kdefaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdefaye.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Kdefaye »

I haven't heard of any of those, thanks for the suggestions.
vlinpr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by vlinpr13 »

I'm not sure what your opinion is of Christian fiction novels, but the Legends of the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock is a fantasy series I enjoyed, and I'm fairly certain it's clean. I remember one mild sexual scene, but it was very brief and I don't believe it went into any real detail of the encounter.

The author L.A Kelly also has a fantasy trilogy called The Tahn Saga (although it might be on the line between YA and adult fiction) as well as several best-selling historical fiction novels.
TJYing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TJYing »

In that case, I highly recommend The Weight of Our Sky by Hanna Alkaf. It's set during the 1969 Malaysian racial riots, and the protagonist is a Muslim teenage girl struggling with severe OCD.

Be warned, the trigger warnings in the author's note for racism, graphic violence, death and anxiety were included for a reason. Hope you find it a good read.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Patricia Briggs does a good job with her Mercy Thompson series to leave out the unneeded sex scenes. She's one of the few who can have a relationship and focus on it working without smut.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

I also love fantasy and historical fiction and avoid the same thing. So maybe you'll like Melanie Dickerson novel, especially the hagenheim series but they are only historical fiction, but i think you'll still enjoy it. Try it and tell me if you enjoyed it. Good reading. :)

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”