Horror books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
DiphApang_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Horror books

Post by DiphApang_ »

Can anyone recommend a very horrific book I can read? I love this genre but I haven't read anything scary out here... So any recommendations?
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

DiphApang_ wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 14:55 Can anyone recommend a very horrific book I can read? I love this genre but I haven't read anything scary out here... So any recommendations?
DiphApang, Well, there are all of the obvious ones like Dracula, Frankenstein, etc but if you want to read something right now I will offer a short story I wrote for our writing section here at OBC in the link below. I only suggest it because people seem to like it and if you decide to read it I hope you will also. Appropriate for the Halloween season too.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=25887
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

What type of horror are you looking for? Gorey horror, anything back Jack Ketchem, psychological horror- The Shining, IT, Pet Semetary by Stephen King.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

The Shining by Stephen King, I agree with LeeAnn20
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I am a huge Stephen King fan but his catalogue can be overwhelming for someone just starting out. I would recommend Pet Semetary as a good starter book. It's genuinely creepy (and the film is great). I also love his short stories as well.

Newer horror novels I loved:
Head Full of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay
Bird Box - Josh Malerman
The Trooper - Nick Cutter

And if you're a Stranger Things fan, I'd highly recommend My Best Friend's Exorcism from Grady Hendrix
msbarclay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msbarclay.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by msbarclay »

I agree with previous posts that you cannot go wrong with Stephen King books.
Another good choice is, The Hunger by Alma Katsu.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

It depends on the type of horror you're looking for, but if you like crime/mystery combined with some chilling horror, I recommend Suffer the Children by John Saul. A lot of his books are in the same genre. Aside from that, of course Psycho by Robert Bloch is amazing. If you're more of a thriller type of person and love slow build, then I recommend The Enemy's Cosmetique by Amelie Nothomb (her books are a bit quirky but fabulous). And if you are after a mind numbing psychological thriller, I recommend The Collector by John Fowles.
cassiekeech2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: -2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cassiekeech2019 »

Anything that was written by Jon Saul, Stephen King, Dean Koontz and lately I have been enjoying books by Joe Hill.
KaitW13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitw13.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by KaitW13 »

Most books from the author Dean Koontz very much fit the theme of horror, thriller, and suspense. Specifically, I would recommend Tick Tock from him. Also, the author John Saul has a great book called Black Creek Crossing, also horror themed.
amberjak13
Currently Reading:

Post by amberjak13 »

I just read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King. That was a fantastic book that explored the possibility of a world without women. The women had their own alternate universe without men as well. Of course, there was plenty of horror and gore along with a supernatural element or it wouldn't be Stephen King. Maybe working with his son helped to narrow down the lengthy descriptions that KIng is famous for in his novels. I enjoyed it and read it within just a couple of days.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

You should try some of the books by Joe Hill. If you want to read novels, I'd suggest "NOS4A2" and "Heart-Shaped Box". If you like comic books, you can try the "Locke & Key" series and also "Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland" which is a prequel to the "NOS4A2" novel.
Sardothien1

Post by Sardothien1 »

The book z by Michael Thomas Ford was thrilling and captivating wondering what would happen next
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

Perhaps try the Hannibal’s Lecter books by Thomas Harris. Red Dragon is excellent, Silence of the Lambs is the classic, and the third one, Hannibal, is my favourite. Not quite as popular but absolutely amazing and chilling. I had to take breaks from reading it just to calm myself down a bit!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill is a classical horror fiction.

I remember reading it years ago and being unable to sleep, it was so engrossing that I felt trapped. I wanted to stop but couldn't prevent myself from turning the next page.

Truly spine-chilling and eerie, don't read alone!
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

Browneh wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 11:10 The Woman in Black by Susan Hill is a classical horror fiction.

I remember reading it years ago and being unable to sleep, it was so engrossing that I felt trapped. I wanted to stop but couldn't prevent myself from turning the next page.

Truly spine-chilling and eerie, don't read alone!
I’d second Susan Hill’s stuff. Not too long but spine-chilling is a very accurate description!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”