Books for a 9yo boy?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Books for a 9yo boy?

Post by a9436 »

I am looking for a book to buy as a gift for my little brother-in-law, who currently does not read much outside of school. Based on his teachers' comments, he has an average reading level, and I know that he likes Lego Nijago, all things cowboy, and Batman.

Does anybody have any recommendations? Would a comic book be more suitable as something to encourage him to read rather than a traditional book? Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks :)
CG1103
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cg1103.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by CG1103 »

A graphic novel might be a good way to introduce him!

Has he tried LEGO DC Superheroes: Save the Day (Comic Reader #1)? There are many titles available and include the Batman character.

Maybe introduce him to the graphic novel series Avatar: The Last Airbender (not exactly cowboys or Lego Ninjago) but it's VERY entertaining.

Would he be interested in Diary of a Wimpy Kid? I listened to the audio book of the first book and literally laughed aloud. My kids enjoyed this series and the books are not very wordy, certainly not like a Rick Riordan book that would take time to get through.
churchmouse70
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by churchmouse70 »

I have taught that age group for many years. I would suggest Hank the Cowdog books written by John Erickson. They are laugh out loud funny.
Also, The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth Spears is a terrific book that always kept the kiddo’s attention. It is a really good book for the whole family.
Hope this helps. 😜
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

There is a new series on Netflix, called The Umbrella Academy. I mention this because the show is made after a comic book. It looks honestly really nice, there are many editions and he might enjoy it. Given the fact that they also made a serial, maybe he can become a fan, and that might make him read the comics. It is just an opinion, of course.
Sardothien1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sardothien1 »

Percy Jackson or the Heroes of Olympus series are perfect as they combine quick wit with adventure and danger. An excellent read that all boys that I know have loved
Andy_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy-c.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Andy_C »

I know I'm way late with this, but if anyone is looking... Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce is so good.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”