Need Book Recommendations

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Need Book Recommendations

Post by sarbearah »

Hello!

I just recently graduated from college, so I have a lot more free time on my hands than I am used to! I used to be an avid reader, and I am trying to get back into the swing of things. I would love some recommendations that could really get that engine revving again, so to speak. :)

I really love any genre except for action and horror (thriller is okay, though). To give you a feel for what I enjoy, some of my favorite books are: the Harry Potter series, the Giver, the Book Thief, Tuesdays with Morrie, the Infernal Devices series, and Howl's Moving Castle . I am willing to give anything a try, though, and I've got my library card at the ready!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

sarbearah wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 17:55 Hello!

I just recently graduated from college, so I have a lot more free time on my hands than I am used to! I used to be an avid reader, and I am trying to get back into the swing of things. I would love some recommendations that could really get that engine revving again, so to speak. :)

I really love any genre except for action and horror (thriller is okay, though). To give you a feel for what I enjoy, some of my favorite books are: the Harry Potter series, the Giver, the Book Thief, Tuesdays with Morrie, the Infernal Devices series, and Howl's Moving Castle . I am willing to give anything a try, though, and I've got my library card at the ready!

Something about this list makes me think you may enjoy Seanan McGuire's writing. She's incredibly prolific (several books a year, seriously (don't assume that must mean they are sub-par, she is just a magical writing machine, and wins awards fairly regularly). Every Heart a Doorway is a good jumping off point, as it's a novella and an excellent example of her writing.

If this doesn't sound like something you're interested in, what particular criteria are you looking for?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

Gravy wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 00:26 Something about this list makes me think you may enjoy Seanan McGuire's writing. She's incredibly prolific (several books a year, seriously (don't assume that must mean they are sub-par, she is just a magical writing machine, and wins awards fairly regularly). Every Heart a Doorway is a good jumping off point, as it's a novella and an excellent example of her writing.

If this doesn't sound like something you're interested in, what particular criteria are you looking for?
I will look into her writing! Thanks for the recommendation! :D

As for criteria, there really isn't any, except for what I listed above (no horror or pure action). I know that isn't too helpful or specific. I guess you could tell me some of your favorites, if you prefer. I do enjoy reading other people's favorite books! Knowing other people love them make books all the more fun to read. :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." - George R. R. Martin
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Okay, but this is going to be a bit of a hodgepodge. :lol:

The Chess Garden by Brooks Hanson
Historical Fiction/Magically Realism

The Weaver by Emmi Itäranta
Dystopian/Fantasy/POCrep/LGBTQ+rep
(I also enjoyed her Memory of Water, but I loved this one more.)

The Winternight Trilogy by Katherine Arden (starts with The Bear and the Nightingale)
Historical Fantasy

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Children's Fiction/Fantasy

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy

And one small note about Seanan McGuire: she also writes under the pseudonym Mira Grant. However, if horror isn't your thing, then her Mira books probably won't be, either. :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”