Fantasy Recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Jawshoowuh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2

Fantasy Recommendations?

Post by Jawshoowuh »

Hello,

I'm actually new to reading. I'm twenty-two, and spent my childhood addicted to video games, and have only recently learned to appreciate reading.

I've started A Song of Ice and Fire, and am almost done with the first book (I'm a slow reader; I haven't read much in my life sadly.); I'm looking for recommendations for once I finish this series, though. My brother has told me of the series Wheel of Time, and have heard great things. I know that is a long series, but I guess I'm looking for something a little shorter to read between ASoIaF, and WoT.

I enjoy more mature fantasy. I read Harry Potter as a kid for school projects, but really have no interest in rereading those at this time. Also, LOTR is on the menu later down the road.

Thank you.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Try Watership Down by Richard Adams. You're going to think I'm nuts when you find out what it's about, but don't let that faze you. It is a book originally written for kids which adults made famous. It is now considered a modern adult classic.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

You can try The Warramunga War by Greg Kater. It is a nice novel revolving around the mystery of world war one and two.Believe you me,its thrilling and you will definitely love it.
tzazr
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzazr.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by tzazr »

Here are some fantasy authors that I have enjoyed: Anne Bishop, Mercedes Lackey, Charles de Lint, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Kristen Britain, Patricia Briggs, Piers Anthony.

These authors have written series, books that can be read on their own without reading the entire series, short stories and in some cases edited books that are a collection of short works by other authors. Fantasy is a wide topic with much to explore and enjoy. Some authors also write science fiction or books that are a combination of both fantasy and science fiction. These can be fun as well.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Have you read any of these authors' books? They're my favorite fantasy authors. They write YA though if you're into that?

Jodi Meadows
Annette Marie
Julie Kagawa
Maria Snyder
Elizabeth May
Virginia Boecker
Mary Pearson
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

My fiance swears by the Wheel of Time series, although I have yet to read it personally. I really love the Eragon Series. Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit are classics. I also really enjoy the City of Bones series. Anne Rice has some great books too, like Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, and Exit to Eden.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I've really enjoyed the Throne of Glass series. It's a great fantasy series. Also, I recently read The Gates of Golorath by R.M. Garino which was very good as well.
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

How about the David Eddings Belgariad? I know it is really written for younger readers, but I like that they are a nice easy read and at 5 books, they don't seem to go on forever like Wheel of Time. And then there are follow on series which is always good :)
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

I have a few books you might enjoy! There's Howl's Moving Castle , a short, witty read about a girl under a spell and her time with a wizard (and nothing like the Studio Ghibli movie). There is also Sabriel , an epic tale about a young female necromancer. One of my personal favorites is anything by Cassandra Clare, like the Infernal Devices series (starting with the Clockwork Angel ).
anderson_analysis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anderson_analysis »

Welcome to fantasy!
Many of the suggestions people have made are very good, but if you are a slow reader, I might suggest reading fantasy short stories instead of novels...at least to start.
Try Robert E. Howard if you like A Song of Ice and Fire: you will know him best as the creator of Conan and Solomon Kane. The Solomon Kane short stories are completely different from the movie.

Lord Dunsany wrote many short stories. They are softer and gentler than Howard, and sometimes satiric or darkly humorous. If you wanted to try something longer, his Don Rodriguez: The Chronicles of Shadow Valley is a nice read you can take a chapter at a time.

H.P. Lovecraft is mostly known for his horror, but his Dreamlands cycle is more fantastic than his other work. Lovecraft being Lovecraft, it still has a strong flavor of horror. Also, keep a dictionary handy: you'll need it.

Happy Reading!
Jazzy_peteet123
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jazzy_peteet123 »

This book is awesome!!! I like harry potty fan! Very great book to read! I would read it over because it so good and awesome.
Love this book to read very perfect book to read!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”