Where to start?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Where to start?

Post by Abigail R »

What are the best graphic novels or comic books for a new reader to start with? I have never read anything in the genre but would love to expand and give it a try?

Suggestions for a newbie?
merrizonne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by merrizonne »

read, Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson
the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

The smarter kid on earth by Chris Ware.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Abigail R wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 21:04 What are the best graphic novels or comic books for a new reader to start with? I have never read anything in the genre but would love to expand and give it a try?

Suggestions for a newbie?
I only started reading them a few years ago.

The main advice I can offer is to pick something that would interest you anyway.

What do you typically enjoy, in any format (reading/watching)?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I think graphic novels/comic books should be seen more as formats rather than genres, that way you just have to pick one that already is in your preferred genre and see if the style of presentation is to your liking. I guess kind of like Gravy already said then. 🤔 :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
thebookaholic1
Currently Reading: Brave New Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookaholic1.html
Latest Review: In Pursuit of The Pale Prince by Mark Wallace

Post by thebookaholic1 »

Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen. Because it's hilarious. And one of the most relatable books for introverts.
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

This is kind of vague, but the publisher Boom!box makes a lot of really high-quality indie comics. They have all sorts - superheroes, mystery, romance, magical anime girl, adventure, etc. My favorite continuing series are Lumberjanes, Giant Days, and Amulet. All have female leads and aren't generally childish though they can be whimsical, which is right up my alley. They also have several completed series, my favorite of which is called The Woods, which is an edge-of-your-seat nail-biting sci-fi horror.

If you're looking for something more mainstream, I would see if I could find a collection. For example, I love Spiderman, and luckily every once in a while Marvel collects entire storylines together and puts them in a comprehensive book. (If you're interested in Spiderman, google "Amazing Spiderman Epic Collection"). I could go on about Spiderman for a long time, so I'll just stop while I'm ahead. Let me know if you'd like more information!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”