In Search of Strong Characters!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

In Search of Strong Characters!

Post by Kmykel »

This might seem like a vague request, but hear me out for a second. My passion lies with character-driven novels. I am of the belief that a plot that overshadows the cast, while it might be finely crafted and designed, can completely ruin a book. I'm not saying that I don't like my protagonists get into conflicts where the fate of the world hangs in the balance, but if I don't care about the hero to begin with, why would I care about the outcome of their world?

SO- I'm looking for books with great, lifelike characters that practically dance off the page. The plot, simply, doesn't matter. I just want to read a book where I feel invested in somebody's life. I've been in a reader's rut, and I can't seem to find a protagonist I particularly care about. I mostly read young adult fiction for this reason, but I'm totally willing to branch out. Genre also doesn't matter much. I can read anything, and I'm always looking for new stuff to try out.

What do you guys think?
Ishy44
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ishy44 »

A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray. (Inter-dimensional travel, romance, I liked the characters)
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Miles Vorkosigsn from Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga is very much a character, a distinctive personality shaped by a congenital disability and a military/aristocratic upbringing.

I would recommend the Vorkosigan Saga for many of its aspects, but Miles’ character is worth it alone.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

Ooh, those both sound fascinating!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”