Fantasy/YA/Realism/Classic Recommendation

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Fantasy/YA/Realism/Classic Recommendation

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I like a lot of genres of books, but not outer-space-type sci-fi or fluffy romances. I would like something gritty, psychological, and/or fantastical. I would really appreciate a recommendation. Surprise me.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

Turnabout by Margaret Peterson-Haddix. I wouldn't necessarily call it "gritty", but it is fantastical and psychological in spades. It's about a woman who, at the age of 100 and close to death, is given a drug that causes her to begin aging backwards. In other words, she gets a year younger with each passing birthday. She has to watch the people's closest too age and die, while she only keeps getting younger. The book largely takes place when she's "16", and there's still no way to halt her age. So she, as well as a friend who was given the same drug, are forced to accept that they're getting closer and closer to death with no way to stop it.

It's a great book. Of course, Peterson-Haddix is the undisputed queen of YA fiction in my opinion. She can do no wrong.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”