Recommendations to cure my reading slump

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Elldarling
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elldarling.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Recommendations to cure my reading slump

Post by Elldarling »

Hello there, my name is Ella and I would very much appreciate some good book recommendations. I’m just about to finish some very stressful exams and desperately need an escape to the fictional world.

My favorite genres are fantasy, historical fiction and mystery. Honestly just throw your favorite books at me so I can finally read after a highly intense year.

Thank you guys:)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
mgosselin137
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgosselin137.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by mgosselin137 »

For historical fiction I would recommend The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett or The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. For Fantasy I would recommend The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. I have found all of these to be easy reads and great books to get lost in.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Anything by Sherrilynn Kenyon for paranormal romance (and mabe normal romance).

Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, Tamora Pierce are great Fantasy authors. Jordan is a little longer and heavier, though. Sanderson also has large novels and series going, but has some smaller novels and novellas if you'd prefer those. Pierce is technically YA, but she's a fantastic writer, and they're easy breezy reads.

Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (who I found out is actually a man :shrug:) is an awesome horror fiction. Brite's writing style is highly descriptive, but done well.

I'm also working my way through Roger Zelazny's The Great Book of Amber which is a 10 book series bound in one book. Zelazny also has a very descriptive, pretty flowery writing style, but it's intriguing and works well.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Elldarling wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:22 Hello there, my name is Ella and I would very much appreciate some good book recommendations. I’m just about to finish some very stressful exams and desperately need an escape to the fictional world.

My favorite genres are fantasy, historical fiction and mystery. Honestly just throw your favorite books at me so I can finally read after a highly intense year.

Ella, I HIGHLY recommend The Different Kinds of Monsters by Seth Chambers. It cured my reading slump for sure. I finished it in 2 days.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Hi Ella
You totally should read the Shardlake series by CJ Samson. It's set in the sixteenth century during the reign of Henry VIII. If you're looking for some escapism, I found these books to be absolutely absorbing!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Lilac Girls: A Novel by Martha Hall Kelly
Paolamtl
Currently Reading: Legendary
Bookshelf Size: 562

Post by Paolamtl »

Some of my favorites are Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Warning: Not like the Studio Ghibli movie!), Sabriel by Garth Nix, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke, and Mr. Penumbra's 24hr Bookstore by Robin Sloan.

I'm really, REALLY going to recommend something in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. There's tons of books and starting points, but I would recommend beginning with Closer to Home (The Herald Spy series). They're kinda old-school cheesy fantasy, but easy and quick to read. I also want to recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, starting with either Guards! Guards! or Monstrous Regiment. Again, there's a ton of books and starting points, but Pratchett's writing is super funny and always lifts my mood, even if his stuff can be a bit hard to read.

Good luck on your exams!
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

If you haven't read it The Name of the Wind is fantastic. It is part of the King slayer chronicles and two of the three books are out so far. It is long, but it is so good. Ive read them both twice.
BeingTheWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beingthewriter.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BeingTheWriter »

Elldarling wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 12:22 Hello there, my name is Ella and I would very much appreciate some good book recommendations. I’m just about to finish some very stressful exams and desperately need an escape to the fictional world.

You may have read it but you may like 11/22/63 by Stephen King!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I read these books a while ago, but if you're looking for historical fiction, you might like Nefertiti and/or Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. I remember them to be fascinating and realistic accounts of strong female women in history. You might want to check them out :)
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I will give you the opportunity to read a book that is in the genre of Sci-Fi. The Dragon Friend written by Marc.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

Philippa Gregory has written some fantastic historical fiction about the female royalty during the medieval and Tudor dynasties, 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and 'The White Queen' being the most famous having been adapted into a film and a television series respectively.

I recently read 'The White Princess' and really enjoyed the historical aspect as well as the exploring of the dynamics of the Tudor court, but anything by Philippa Gregory is a win in this genre.

Hope you are recovering well after all the exams, you are well deserved to have a rest! :)
Jordyn177
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jordyn177 »

Hi Ella! Oh so many good books to recommend, but this is the best one I've read in a few years: Perfume: story of a murderer by Patrick Suskind. Its powerful, beautiful, tragic and utterly fascinating. It also a movie of you care to watch it after (if you haven't already).
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
And I Darken by Kiersten White
Scythe by Neil Shusterman
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

For a good mystery/thriller, I could not recommend the Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman more highly. It is one of those books that just stays with you and you have to re-read. And then if you like that, there are many other books (sadly, of variable quality) by the same author. But start with Dead Languages.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”