Recommendations to cure my reading slump

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Jilheins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jilheins.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Re: Recommendations to cure my reading slump

Post by Jilheins »

The Assyrian by Nicholas Guild is a fantastic and much-overlooked historical novel. Kleopatra by Karen Essex is riveting -- as is anything by Alexandre Dumas. But you probably don't need my Dumas recommendation if the historical novel genre is one of your favorites!
Raglitmag
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raglitmag »

You're in need of engaging contemporary fiction. These are my best finds over the last 5 years. You can search them all in amazon
Sam Pink: Rontel
Nick Pizzolatto: Galveston
John Curry: We Run Bad
Carson Mell: Saguaro
Charles Bukowski: The Post Office
John Kennedy Toole: Confederacy of Dunces
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

Paolamtl wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:11 Some of my favorites are Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (Warning: Not like the Studio Ghibli movie!), Sabriel by Garth Nix, The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak...
Hi Ella!

I HIGHLY second these recommendations, particularly Howl's Moving Castle and Sabriel ! These are two fantastic fantasy stories, both extremely well-written and witty with little hints of romance. Howl is a nice short read, while Sabriel is a longer read, so you might want to take that into consideration as well. They are both parts of series, but they make great stand-alone books as well! Hope you enjoy! :)
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

mgosselin137 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 06:53 For historical fiction I would recommend The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett or The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. For Fantasy I would recommend The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. I have found all of these to be easy reads and great books to get lost in.
I completely agree with this. I cannot recommend The Nightingale highly enough.
Also, if you are interested in World War II historical fiction, Lilac Girls, by Martha Hall Kelly, is an amazing read.
CG1103
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cg1103.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by CG1103 »

Hi Ella!
Have you heard of The Need series by Carrie Jones? If you happen to be a Twilight fan, you might really like this series. I personally enjoyed this series FAR BETTER than the Twilight series. The Need series deals with a human, pixies, shapeshifters. That's all I'll give ya! It's a YA series too. I think I must have read the first book at least 3 or 4 times. There are four books in this series as well.

Happy Reading!
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

As for me, I will say I don't really like historical fiction. May be because I'm a Nigerian, that love Nigeria historical fiction. But since historical fictional books here are American based, so to speak they seems bored to me while reading.
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

Historical semi-fiction: Anchee Min! She is a fabulous Chinese writer. The books that first hooked me on her were Empress Orchid and The Last Empress. They follow the life of the last Chinese Empress during the British takeover. She presents the stories in first-person from the pov of the Empress, starting in her childhood and detailing her life, complete with love interests, political intrigue, and court in-fighting. If you check them out and like them, I would also recommend her other novels and memoirs. Her prose is beautiful and compelling, and her memoirs show an incredible view of life in China during the cultural revolution.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”