Looking for books about multifaceted women

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
jessicawallace6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicawallace6.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov

Looking for books about multifaceted women

Post by jessicawallace6 »

Hi, all! I'm really looking for a book that will make me feel the way I did the first time I read Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, which became one of my favorite novels of all time.
I did recently find a book which came close to that for me, Burial Rites by...?... can't remember her name. But either way, this helped me come to the conclusion that what I am really seeking is a book with a multifaceted female protagonist, and a moody, moor-like setting might not hurt things.
Thanks in advance! :techie-studyinggray:
Kai_Raine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kai_Raine »

I recommend All She Was Worth by Miyuki Miyabe (male protagonist, but pursuing a female suspect--I can't say too much without giving away a lot, so I just have to ask you to trust me on this one).

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis is a great one, too: a retelling of Cupid and Psyche from the perspective of the jealous sister who convinced Psyche to disobey Cupid.

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngochi Adichie also might appeal to you: the main character is certainly mult-faceted, but there's no big reveal or turning point.

If you're more into the historical setting, and mostly want to see a female character grow and change over the course of the story, Persuasion by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte were pretty powerful.

If you're looking to find a story about a female protagonist who grows and changes in a big way over the course of a story, and you're willing to read fantasy, I recommend Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon and The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Also on the fantasy angle, The Queen of Attolia is an ancient Greece/Rome-like setting where gods are real, and surprised me in a way similar to how Rebecca did.

Hope you find something to your liking in here!!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”