Recommendations for Summer Reading

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
lorina19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Recommendations for Summer Reading

Post by lorina19 »

Hi! I'm a college student finally on break for the summer. Last summer I took classes so I was busy all the time and would fall asleep doing homework. Now that I have an internship this summer I'd like to spend the last 20-30 minutes before falling asleep reading! I used to be a huge read-for-fun type of kid but being in university has absolutely taken all of my free time. I feel like I'm now out of the loop of the top novels :cry: I'm also at a weird age (just turned 20) where teen novels like Twilight no longer do it for me but more sophisticated reflections-on-life type of novels are too, well, sophisticated for my fresh out of teenage years mind. Some of my favorite novels when I was younger consisted of dystopian themes, such as Hunger Games/the Giver, etc. Also I recently read The Selection, a similar YA dystopian, and was quite entertained? I want to finish around 3-4 books this summer and would love recs/books similar to my previous taste without being too predicatble/teenish! Thanks!
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

lorina19 wrote: 11 May 2018, 23:00 Hi! I'm a college student finally on break for the summer. Last summer I took classes so I was busy all the time and would fall asleep doing homework. Now that I have an internship this summer I'd like to spend the last 20-30 minutes before falling asleep reading! I used to be a huge read-for-fun type of kid but being in university has absolutely taken all of my free time. I feel like I'm now out of the loop of the top novels :cry: I'm also at a weird age (just turned 20) where teen novels like Twilight no longer do it for me but more sophisticated reflections-on-life type of novels are too, well, sophisticated for my fresh out of teenage years mind. Some of my favorite novels when I was younger consisted of dystopian themes, such as Hunger Games/the Giver, etc. Also I recently read The Selection, a similar YA dystopian, and was quite entertained? I want to finish around 3-4 books this summer and would love recs/books similar to my previous taste without being too predicatble/teenish! Thanks!
My first thought was The Ruins, it was one of my favorite summer reads. It's kind of vacation/adventure/horror.
If you want to stick with dystopian, how about some of the classics? Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, 1984. (Edit to quote, I always forget that it doesn't send notifications without quoting)
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

You might like Battlefield Earth. It doesn't fall into the normal super-predictable teen category, but I read it when I was kind of getting tired of the usual hormone-packed dystopian novels and really enjoyed it. It has a pretty large conceptual breadth for the type of sci-fi that it is.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

check out the Throne of Glass series or The Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J. Maas. They are really well-done YA, but also sort of a more mature YA. I'm 28 and Throne of Glass is one of the best things I have ever read. Sarah builds her fictional worlds so well. I do have to warn you that neither series is complete. I believe the final Throne of Glass book will be published in October.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Six of Crows Novel by Leigh Bardugo is the first in a new series. I enjoyed it.
Paolamtl
Currently Reading: Legendary
Bookshelf Size: 562

Post by Paolamtl »

Hey fellow student! :D I just finished reading the Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline, which is a dystopian YA thriller and just amazing. I also really liked Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, which skews more towards fantasy than dystopian but has really great characters. More Than This by Patrick Ness might also be up your alley, and Ness's other book, The Knife of Never Letting Go, is a heartbreaking sci-fi that has some dystopian elements.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

You might like The Giver if you love dystopian books. I haven't read it though. My only basis of recommending it is because the movie is quite good.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”