Recommendations for a mixed bag reader?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Recommendations for a mixed bag reader?

Post by Ashley Louise »

Two of my favorite all time authors are Kurt Vonnegut and Stephen King. I loved Slaughterhouse-Five, I've read it 1,000 times. I've read everything ever written by Stephen King at least 1,000 times as well, but did prefer his short story collections. I also love Cassandra Clare and fantasy books like The Mortal Instruments, and of course all of the Harry Potter books. I need a new series to read! Any recommendations?
kerricellis
Currently Reading: Before We Were Yours
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerricellis.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by kerricellis »

You would probably like Joe Hill. He's Stephen King's kid. haha BUT his books are actually good. I didn't realize who he was until I started reading NOS4A2 and he mentioned Pennywise. I had already read Heart-Shaped box, and didn't catch on. Start with Heart-Shaped Box. The Girl With All the Gifts is really good - post-apocalyptic horror book. You might like the "His Dark Materials" series. It's the one that starts with The Golden Compass - don't judge it by the movie! It's pretty sacrilegious, and it's got that political angle like with Vonnegut. If you like fairies and demons and stuff, you might like the Sookie Stackhouse books. They are a secret shame of mine. I recognize while I'm reading them that they're just, just awful, but there's something about them.
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ashley Louise »

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I appreciate all of the suggestions and can't wait to start reading some new books! I admit, I too have read the Sookie Stackhouse books, hah! I love fantasy, and you're right... despite being, "meh," there IS something captivating about them! Thank you again!
kerricellis wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 09:20 You would probably like Joe Hill. He's Stephen King's kid. haha BUT his books are actually good. I didn't realize who he was until I started reading NOS4A2 and he mentioned Pennywise. I had already read Heart-Shaped box, and didn't catch on. Start with Heart-Shaped Box. The Girl With All the Gifts is really good - post-apocalyptic horror book. You might like the "His Dark Materials" series. It's the one that starts with The Golden Compass - don't judge it by the movie! It's pretty sacrilegious, and it's got that political angle like with Vonnegut. If you like fairies and demons and stuff, you might like the Sookie Stackhouse books. They are a secret shame of mine. I recognize while I'm reading them that they're just, just awful, but there's something about them.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Jabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jabriel.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Jabriel »

Two of my favorite series are Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi and The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater.
A good standalone book I recommend is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's been made into a show on Hulu, I believe.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

A Throne of Glass is a series by Sarah J. Maas. You might enjoy it! The characters are well-written and the story is pretty good. The length of the books is also just right.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

White Teeth Zadie Smith
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

You might like the Inspector Rebus series by Ian Rankin - a good, dark crime novels series (subsequently made into a TV drama series in the UK).
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

Try the Chronicles of St Marys by Jodi Taylor. I think they’re perfect for an eclectic reader because they are a lovely mix of comedy, history and adventure. I know that may sound a bit too mixed but it is a really enjoyable, entertaining series.
BeingTheWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beingthewriter.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BeingTheWriter »

Ashley Louise wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 13:56 Two of my favorite all time authors are Kurt Vonnegut and Stephen King. I loved Slaughterhouse-Five, I've read it 1,000 times. I've read everything ever written by Stephen King at least 1,000 times as well, but did prefer his short story collections. I also love Cassandra Clare and fantasy books like The Mortal Instruments, and of course all of the Harry Potter books. I need a new series to read! Any recommendations?
One book you may like, is The Chalk Man by C J Tudor. Also ty out "All Things Cease to Appear" (can't recall the authors' name).
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

If you liked Harry Potter, you would like the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. If you haven't read it yet, you should add it to your list.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”