Group of kids on an adventure books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Explorer17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Group of kids on an adventure books

Post by Explorer17 »

Hi guys,

Im looking for books with a story & vibe similar to the movie stand by me, where group of kids embark on a journey, I imagined a lighthearted tone, though not as child-friendly as the famous five & still pretty close to coming of age genre. Im not looking for something like harry potter or any hardcore fantasy ones, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers ;)
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Hey there!
Have you read Paper Towns by John Green? It fits all of your conditions - not light-hearted, coming-of-age and the plot has a group of teens going on a road trip. I loved the book too.
apINKpanda21
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Currently Reading: The Red Hunter
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 3782

Post by apINKpanda21 »

I haven't seen Stand By Me, so I'm not sure about this.. but there's this book by Erin Entrada Kelly called Hello, Universe which you could try. Not coming-of-age though since they're really...KIDS. Middle-school students~
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Lord of the Flies, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Bloom, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares, It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.
K5636
Currently Reading: Serial K
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k5636.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by K5636 »

Downriver by Will Hobbs is a story about a group of teenagers who end up white water rafting through the Grand Canyon all on their own.

You might also read The Body by Stephen King. I haven't read it, but it is the novella that Stand by Me was based on. One of my students was reading it this past spring. I loved the movie, so I added it to my own list :wink2:
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Stranger than Fanfiction is great story. The adventure started when they invited their favorite artist on a roadtrip. The artist is always looking for a funtime so he said yes. While they were on an adventure with a lot of misfortunes happening, they get to know the artist they idolized since when they were kids and they get to understand themselves better throughout their journey.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”