Fantasy novels with romance

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
CPUKululu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fantasy novels with romance

Post by CPUKululu »

I'm looking for good novels that are fantasy, with a magic/sword based world, that also has a good romance that I can get invested in.
Luckyice

Post by Luckyice »

How much romance are we talking about
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

We kind of need to know if you are looking for a romance (sexy times) set in a fantasy world or a fantasy with some romantic elements (less sexy times).

If you want a romance set in a fantasy world, with quality world building and intricate plotting over a series, Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon might be worth a try. It is the first in a series, and I haven't read it in a long time, but if I recall correctly there is a romance, sex, and a complex fantasy world with plenty of sword fights and mystical creatures both friend and foe. This is balanced by the heroine being a complete Mary Sue, but otherwise the characters are pretty solid.

If you want a fantasy with romantic elements, try The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. Well developed fantasy world with a complex plot and fantastic writing with plenty of romance, but the sex is off-screen. This one is light on the swords and battle, heavy on the magic, though.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

The Demon King trilogy by Jennifer Fallon, The Wayfarer Redemption series andThe Troy series, both by Sara Douglass are great reads.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Check out the Bloodbound trilogy by Erin Lindsey! Based on your descriptions (fantasy, good romance, set in a magic/sword based world) I think you'll really enjoy it. It ticks all the boxes and also has great characters :D
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I adore Sherrilyn Kenyon. She's technically an urban fantasy and paranormal romance writer, so maybe not completely what you're looking for, but I still recommend her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherrilyn ... lyn_Kenyon
Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Try Cinda Williams Chima. Her books are YA so there's no erotic scenes but the romances are so real and alluring, especially Han and Raise in the Shattered Realms novels.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

If you're looking for erotic fantasy, I definitely suggest Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carey. It's a series that follows a "pleasure worker" who has a unique affinity for pain. Super kinky but definitely fantasy. There is also a love story woven throughout, kind of a forbidden love. It's easy for me to recommend because it's one of my all-time favorites.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
RenaeDiberia

Post by RenaeDiberia »

The Poison Study series by Maria V. Snyder is great for this, I found the romance story in the first couple of books fantastic. The plot and well-developed characters greatly support the romance without consuming the entire story, contributing to what is overall a great read.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

NL Hartje wrote: 06 May 2018, 00:02 If you're looking for erotic fantasy, I definitely suggest Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carey. It's a series that follows a "pleasure worker" who has a unique affinity for pain. Super kinky but definitely fantasy. There is also a love story woven throughout, kind of a forbidden love. It's easy for me to recommend because it's one of my all-time favorites.
'Erotic Fantasy' doesn't cover it. That book is intense. There is a whole series of those books both in female and male perspectives. Incredible writing but not for the faint of heart.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

thaservices1 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:55
NL Hartje wrote: 06 May 2018, 00:02 If you're looking for erotic fantasy, I definitely suggest Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carey. It's a series that follows a "pleasure worker" who has a unique affinity for pain. Super kinky but definitely fantasy. There is also a love story woven throughout, kind of a forbidden love. It's easy for me to recommend because it's one of my all-time favorites.
'Erotic Fantasy' doesn't cover it. That book is intense. There is a whole series of those books both in female and male perspectives. Incredible writing but not for the faint of heart.
Yes, I love the whole series!!!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”