Comedy

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
IsaiahHowell
Currently Reading: Sorrowline
Bookshelf Size: 7

Comedy

Post by IsaiahHowell »

Does anyone know of any funny books that i can read? I noticed that there was no comedy section whenever i went to go pick out a book. Any author that likes to sew their words with a sense of humor is fine too.
facelesswoodsman
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facelesswoodsman.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by facelesswoodsman »

Rick Riordan's books are absolutely hilarious (though I can't vouch for his adult books because I haven't read those yet). Even if you're not interested in mythology, you should still give them a shot -- you might really like them anyway!
The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull has tons of laugh-out-loud funny moments and characters with good senses of humor. Plus, it is a fantastic series. I very highly recommend it!
Fablehaven and almost all of Rick Riordan's books are classified as being for kids, but they are definitely the types of stories that appeal to anyone, regardless of age.

The Martian by Andy Weir is about an astronaut trying to survive on Mars after his crew mistakes him for being dead and leaves him stranded alone on the planet. Again, even if this doesn't sound like the type of book you'd normally be interested in reading, I recommend that you still give it shot because you might really like it anyway. The main character, Mark Watney, is very funny and likable.

If you like comics/graphic novels (or haven't read any before but are willing to give them a try) I recommend checking out Nimona by Noelle Stevenson and the Invader Zim comics. I've never seen the Invader Zim TV show, but I LOVE the comics -- they're definitely among some of the most hilarious books I've ever read. I read them when I'm feeling down and want to read something that makes me laugh -- they put me in a better mood!
lmcclaran
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmcclaran.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by lmcclaran »

You should check out This Is a Book by Demetri Martin. He is an American stand-up comedian, his book is a collection of short stories, stand-up acts, drawings, palindromes, nonsense, etc. He had me dying of laughter from the first page!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

facelesswoodsman wrote: 01 May 2018, 12:32
The Martian by Andy Weir is about an astronaut trying to survive on Mars after his crew mistakes him for being dead and leaves him stranded alone on the planet. Again, even if this doesn't sound like the type of book you'd normally be interested in reading, I recommend that you still give it shot because you might really like it anyway. The main character, Mark Watney, is very funny and likable.
Andy Weir's second novel Artemis is also fun and humorous. It takes place in a city on the moon!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

If you are at all interested in humor about the US political sphere, I'd recommend Kristin Gore's books Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House. The protagonist is a policy aide to a US Senator, and it's just about the humor of being a twenty-something working in political DC and on campaigns and trying to have a love life.

Kristin Gore is Al Gore's daughter and former writer for National Lampoon.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
microtek
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by microtek »

Hi there,
Greeting.
I am new user of this site online book club. This is very nice entertaining and informative.
Thanks a lot.
BeingTheWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beingthewriter.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BeingTheWriter »

One of my favorite books is called "And Then We Came to the End" and it's one of my FAVORITE books. And it's hilarious and quite unfortunate at times, but it's so funny to me. :)
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Mindy Kaling's Is everyone Hanging Out Without Me is pretty funny.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The Princess Bride. A classic. Always gets me laughing.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

Christopher Moore is my favorite to read when I need a good laugh. He is irreverent, snarky and twisted. Some may find his concepts a little off putting because he's very edgy, but if you like characters with depth that get themselves into situations that are beyond unusual, you will like his books.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

A Confederacy Of Dunces

Don Quixote

Catch-22

Good Omens
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Despite its age, the Apple & Percival series by Anthony Armstrong is excellent and available (2nd-hand) on Amazon.

Apple & Percival
Percival At Play
Percival and I

They're all a collection of short stories, so you can dip in and out.
mommaing
Favorite Book: Surprised by Joy
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommaing.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by mommaing »

Douglas Adams is funny in an absurdist British way. Both the Hitchhiker's series and the Dirk Gently books. What kind of funny were you looking for?
thebookaholic1
Currently Reading: Brave New Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookaholic1.html
Latest Review: In Pursuit of The Pale Prince by Mark Wallace

Post by thebookaholic1 »

Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen. (Graphic novel about the life of an introvert.)

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend (The first book in a series. All of these books are hilarious.)

The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (I'm reading it now, and every next page is cracking me up)

The Diary of a Madman by Nikolai Gogol (One of the diary entry reads: The Year 2000, 43rd of April.)
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

Losers Take All is really funny. Please check it out!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”