Fantasy Novels Where the Gods are Real

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Fantasy Novels Where the Gods are Real

Post by Irene C »

Hi!
So, in order to help with my current writing project, I wondered if you could recommend soft fantasy novels where most (or all) of the magic/non-ordinary power is in/from the gods acting in the story world, and where the gods are possibly characters in the story. Or observers of the story. But no mages or wizards.

Thanks!
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

Percy Jackson Series, Magnus Chase, Series, and Kane Chronicles are all by Rick Riordan and are each about demigods living in the modern world where Greek, Norse, or Egyptian gods still exists in each respective series. Like Harry Potter these series are technically marketed to kids but people of all ages enjoy them.
facelesswoodsman
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facelesswoodsman.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by facelesswoodsman »

Allie_L wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 18:22 Percy Jackson Series, Magnus Chase, Series, and Kane Chronicles are all by Rick Riordan and are each about demigods living in the modern world where Greek, Norse, or Egyptian gods still exists in each respective series. Like Harry Potter these series are technically marketed to kids but people of all ages enjoy them.
Yes, definitely check those out if you haven't yet! I'd also recommend "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman.
Irene C

Post by Irene C »

Thank you both so much! I guess basically this has only been done with existing Earth mythologies.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
facelesswoodsman
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facelesswoodsman.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by facelesswoodsman »

Irene C wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 18:34 Thank you both so much! I guess basically this has only been done with existing Earth mythologies.
You're very welcome! I hope that you'll enjoy them and that they will be helpful to you!

I'm sure that it hasn't only been done with existing mythologies; there are many stories out there with invented mythologies and gods and goddesses of the author's creation.
The ones I've read with invented mythologies have been high fantasy, not soft fantasy, so I didn't mention them to you. But again, I'm sure that soft fantasy novels with invented gods and goddesses central to the plot are out there! I will let you know if I ever come across any!

Also, I know you asked for novel recommendations, but if you're open to reading short stories as well I very, very highly recommend that you read One Odd Shoe by Pat Murphy and A Tale for the Short Days by Richard Bowes, both of which are from the anthology The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales. They are so good!
Wagers of Gold Mountain by Steve Berman and Crow Roads by Charles de Lint are also from that anthology, and both of them feature invented gods in a soft fantasy setting! I personally didn't like those two stories as much as One Odd Shoe and A Tale for the Short Days, but they are still worth reading. Perhaps you'll enjoy them more than I did!

I hope you're having a great time with your writing project!
Irene C

Post by Irene C »

Wagers of Gold Mountain by Steve Berman and Crow Roads by Charles de Lint are also from that anthology, and both of them feature invented gods in a soft fantasy setting!
Thank you so much for all of these recommendations. :D I am myself more drawn to low fantasy, but it is definitely good to know that fictional mythology/religion is more common in high fantasy. I'll also definitely check out the short stories, keeping in mind that that's a place to look.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm not sure if you've ever read any of Neil Gaiman's books? Also not sure what the writing project is - but I would recommend his book Norse Mythology. I actually listened to the audiobook - with him narrating. It is really just a collection of stories including the likes of Thor and Loki and Odin - so not a fantasy novel at all. He is a natural storyteller and I would really recommend it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Irene C wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:48 Hi!
So, in order to help with my current writing project, I wondered if you could recommend soft fantasy novels where most (or all) of the magic/non-ordinary power is in/from the gods acting in the story world, and where the gods are possibly characters in the story. Or observers of the story. But no mages or wizards.

Thanks!
A very good fit for this is Devon Monk's Ordinary Magic series.
There are three books (starting with Death and Relaxation), and the whole premise is Gods take vacations too. Where? Ordinary Oregon. :lol:

It's UF, just incase that is a no go.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
courtneymcreative
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Currently Reading: Swan Song
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneymcreative.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by courtneymcreative »

So many great recommendations already. I'd just add Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen (two-part series) by Tamora Pierce. They're some of my favorite books, YA, and probably lean more towards heavier fantasy (the entire setting is fictional). But it integrates gods and demi-gods in an interesting way and, if I remember correctly (it's been a while), the gods are somewhat based on real mythologies and somewhat made up. Hope that helps!
Irene C

Post by Irene C »

Thank you, Gravy and Courtney!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”