Super Smart/Intelligent Books?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
mgleaton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgleaton.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Super Smart/Intelligent Books?

Post by mgleaton »

Based on these three books, does anyone have any recommendations?!!!

1. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
2. The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
3. Zola: A life by Frederick Brown

Thank-you so much!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Intelligent" books. Do you mean books which are technically superior examples of good literature, or deep and philosophical?

Of the first example I would say Middlemarch by George Elliot; of the second, just about any Shakespearian tragedy.

Personally I don't think much of Ayn Rand or her writing. I think she is both a pseudo-writer and a pseudo-philosopher. Hitchhiker's Guide, are you kidding me? Much of it is brilliant comedy which I thoroughly enjoyed but it is hardly an "intelligent" (read: profound or philosophic) book and certainly not great literature in the clinical sense. The Zola book is a biography/nonfiction and though some very profound things happened to Emile Zola in his life I wouldn't say that a book of his life, though it may be very good, is necessarily a "smart" or "intelligent" book. As I said I need to know more precisely what you mean by these terms.

One good book which is both easy to read, entertaining, and "deep" if one is perceptive enough to recognize what makes it deep, is The Old Man And The Sea by Steinbeck.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Hitchhiker is one of my favorite books of all time. I recommend anything else by Adams. You might also try the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett. They are fantasy with a sort of Adams feel to them.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Try The Martian by Andy Weir if you enjoy smart, funny sci-fi. The protagonist is a snarky, humorous kind of guy, but the science in the book is also very technical and detailed.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”