If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 07 Apr 2018, 13:57
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 0
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgleaton.html
- Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
1. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
2. The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
3. Zola: A life by Frederick Brown
Thank-you so much!
- Previous Member of the Month
- Posts: 3931
- Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 07:54
- Bookshelf Size: 0
Of the first example I would say Middlemarch by George Elliot; of the second, just about any Shakespearian tragedy.
Personally I don't think much of Ayn Rand or her writing. I think she is both a pseudo-writer and a pseudo-philosopher. Hitchhiker's Guide, are you kidding me? Much of it is brilliant comedy which I thoroughly enjoyed but it is hardly an "intelligent" (read: profound or philosophic) book and certainly not great literature in the clinical sense. The Zola book is a biography/nonfiction and though some very profound things happened to Emile Zola in his life I wouldn't say that a book of his life, though it may be very good, is necessarily a "smart" or "intelligent" book. As I said I need to know more precisely what you mean by these terms.
One good book which is both easy to read, entertaining, and "deep" if one is perceptive enough to recognize what makes it deep, is The Old Man And The Sea by Steinbeck.
― Steven Wright
- Posts: 328
- Joined: 19 Mar 2018, 08:56
- 2019 Reading Goal: 25
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
- 2018 Reading Goal: 25
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
- Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
- Bookshelf Size: 1280
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
- Latest Review: Trent Foster & The Council of 10 by Matt Whiteside
- Posts: 369
- Joined: 03 Jan 2018, 10:12
- 2018 Reading Goal: 100
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
- 2017 Reading Goal: 0
- Currently Reading: Not Your Sidekick
- Bookshelf Size: 2049
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
- Latest Review: Burn One Down by Jeffrey A. Cooper