I've never read a book

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Yaraaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

I've never read a book

Post by Yaraaa »

Hi, I'm 18 and have never read a book in English
English is my third language and it's not used a lot here so growing up I only had access to my English school books and some old English/American books that were translated to French (Honnestly, even in my first and second language I didn't read a lot, I've always felt that reading was related to homework and school so I didn't include it in my free time.)
Lately my english teacher gave my class a long lovely speech about how reading is neglected by our generation and how most of us have a poor lexical field, that speech motivated me to read, and i'm asking you to help me pick my first book..
I like mysteries, thrillers, and adore noir and neo-noir genres, I'm searching for a book with a confiedent, strong, mature, independant femme fatale as the protagonist (or playing a major role in the story)
Thank you :techie-studyingbrown:
Sierraboyd

Post by Sierraboyd »

And then I met margrete is a good book
Anabiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Anabiya »

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell is a good read.
It is the first English book I bought for reading.
English is also my third language. We don't talk in English at home. After reading it, I was feeling good as if I read about some real friend's life story.
laura89
Currently Reading: Can I be Frank
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by laura89 »

Small Island is fantastic. There are so many different ideas and perspectives and the fact that it is historical allows you to consider how the past shaped our present.
Maja Saveva

Post by Maja Saveva »

The first book i read was The fault in our stars. Also, English is my third language too, and that book was easy to understand.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

I don't know how it would be for a first book in English, but if you like neo-noir with a strong female lead, Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell is good. You might also try the Veronica Mars books, The Thousand Dollar Tan Line and Mr. Kiss and Tell.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”