Looking for book set on a different planet

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Looking for book set on a different planet

Post by KLafser »

For one of the reading challenges I'm doing this year, I need " A book set on a different planet".

That immediately takes my brain to sci fi and while I like some, heavier stories in that arena just aren't for me. A couple from that genre that I did enjoy are Superhighway (BOTD here), The Girl with All the Gifts, and Ready Player One (loved, loved that one).

Any thoughts on where you'd steer me to fulfill this category? Thanks for any help!
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

Pierce Brown's Red Rising series- about a young man of a suppressed class who passes as the elite class to begin to battle the caste system.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series- begin with Cordelia's Honor if you like romantic adventure, The Warrior's Apprentice for space opera/battle, or The Mountains of Morning for a novella - about a young man who is born deformed by damaged genes on a planet that hates mutants, and his struggle to be recognized beyond his appearance. Cordelia's Honor is about his mother's journey from being a Survey leader on a more progressive planet to the time of his birth.

Andy Weir's The Martian - because it is awesome, and carefully researched, and is still about a different planet.

Frank Herbert's Dune- y'know, the classics. Interesting and believable world-building, good adventure, and my first economics lesson in a book.
mgleaton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgleaton.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by mgleaton »

I am reading The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It is an 815 pages and the main characters explore many worlds in the universe.
KLafser

Post by KLafser »

EllieA wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 19:46 Pierce Brown's Red Rising series- about a young man of a suppressed class who passes as the elite class to begin to battle the caste system.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series- begin with Cordelia's Honor if you like romantic adventure, The Warrior's Apprentice for space opera/battle, or The Mountains of Morning for a novella - about a young man who is born deformed by damaged genes on a planet that hates mutants, and his struggle to be recognized beyond his appearance. Cordelia's Honor is about his mother's journey from being a Survey leader on a more progressive planet to the time of his birth.

Andy Weir's The Martian - because it is awesome, and carefully researched, and is still about a different planet.

Frank Herbert's Dune- y'know, the classics. Interesting and believable world-building, good adventure, and my first economics lesson in a book.
Thank you for these choices! I will check them out!
KLafser

Post by KLafser »

mgleaton wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 14:01 I am reading The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It is an 815 pages and the main characters explore many worlds in the universe.
Ooooo.... I forgot about this one. It's been on my list for some time. Thanks for the recommendation!
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

If you care for retellings, Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston is Anastasia in space with a few different planets. There's also A Conspiracy of Stars by Olivia A. Cole, YA scifi about people stranded on a planet who've built a civilization around the fantastic wildlife there. It's kind of like Avitar but with psychic connections instead of, well, avitars.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

If you're into sci-fi, I just finished a mystery thriller called One Way by S.J. Morden which is about a group of convicts recruited to build a base on Mars. Then people end up dying from accidents that turn out not to be accidental at all, and the protagonist has to figure out who the killer is. It was kind of like a mix of Armageddon and a murder mystery for me :)
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

There are Star Trek: Deep Space Nine tie-in novels set on the various planets of the Trek universe featured on the series. Bajor, Ferenginar, the Trill homeworld, Cardassia, the Klingon homeworld Qo’noS. I think the sub series name for the novels as a group is “The Worlds of Deep Space Nine”.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Try the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The movie John Carter was based off one of the books in this series.
Liz_Wright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-wright.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Liz_Wright »

I enjoyed Artemis by Andy Weir overall. Some parts felt slow, but it was interesting to see how Weir built the "system" of this planet and created the rules of what could and couldn't happen.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

EllieA wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 19:46 Pierce Brown's Red Rising series- about a young man of a suppressed class who passes as the elite class to begin to battle the caste system.
I absolutely loved this series. But be prepared for a long read, because you won't be able to stop after the first one.

I also loved the Martian, but I feel like Andy Weir dropped the ball with Artemis. And I don't know if Artemis counts, because it's technically not on another planet, but on the moon.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Check out the Bobiverse! Dennis E. Taylor has a short series that starts with We Are Legion (We Are Bob). My husband and I listen to it on a road trip and absolutely loved it!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

If you need something on the lighter end of sci-fi/fantasy I would recommend Anne McCaffery's Pern novels.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
K5636
Currently Reading: Serial K
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k5636.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by K5636 »

I really enjoyed Ender's Game and all the side stories and novels that make up the series.
Mentat1231
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mentat1231 »

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. LeGuin. You're welcome. :-)

But, failing that, the Dune series is classic stuff. Or, for something more YA, try the Pathfinder trilogy from Orson Scott Card.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”