Need a new book to read!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
lovecrafted
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Icon Need a new book to read!

Post by lovecrafted »

Hi guys! I need a new book to read ( obviously haha ) so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm a fan of horror - not fantasy horror like monsters and such. I like books about serial killers like Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz. An exception might be The Thief of Always. I adored that book

I'm a fan of angsty romance - the girl next door, opposites meet, etc. I liked Fifty Shades if Grey even. :techie-studyingbrown:

I also love books about equestrian riding so like Paint The Wind or The Black Stallion for example. :techie-studyinggray:
Holycatztheslayer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Holycatztheslayer »

:tiphat: Hello lovecrafted!

Why don't you try "You" by Caroline Kepnes? It's about a guy named Joe who becomes "obsessed" (I say that strongly) with a woman named Beck. The book is very creepy and has romance but in a stalkerish, disturbing way.

I hope you check it out and tell me what you think of it. Bye! :)
maan_zon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by maan_zon »

One of the really good books I've read is called The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. It's about a group of criminal profilers and their job trying to catch serial killers. Has a bit or angsty romance in there. A good combination!
Russell Burke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by Russell Burke »

Though I haven't read either of these, two of the more well-known books about serial killers are Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho and Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs. The former is set in the 1980s and is about a man named Patrick Bateman who works and lives the high life on Wall Street (and also happens to be a serial killer). The latter is about an FBI trainee named Clarice Starling, who is tasked with finding a serial killer who targets women and skins his victims for some unknown reason. To help in her search, she consults with already-imprisoned serial killer and psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and the two develop a strange (not romantic) relationship.

Again, I haven't actually read these, but I can confirm the film adaptation of The Silence of the Lambs is excellent, so I imagine the book is worthwhile too.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Russell Burke wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 15:31 Though I haven't read either of these, two of the more well-known books about serial killers are Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho and Thomas Harris's The Silence of the Lambs. ... The latter is about an FBI trainee named Clarice Starling, who is tasked with finding a serial killer who targets women and skins his victims for some unknown reason. To help in her search, she consults with already-imprisoned serial killer and psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and the two develop a strange (not romantic) relationship.

Again, I haven't actually read these, but I can confirm the film adaptation of The Silence of the Lambs is excellent, so I imagine the book is worthwhile too.
The book is excellent, and I say that as someone who is not a huge fan of gore and horror. There's a strong detective story element and the characterization is fabulous.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Would strongly advise you to try James Herbert. He writes nicely creepy horror stories, and is not afraid to invoke the familiar bogies like rats, mist, and haunted houses, but also often weaves an emotionally honest family story into his narrative.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by fearstreetlover »

I read an arc of #murdertrending by Gretchen McNeil and it is a good book it comes out august 7th 2018
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

If you are looking for a great book to read that may bring you out of your typical comfort zone I have two suggestions:
1. Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh
2. Lolita by Vladimir Nobokov

If you wold rather stick to what you know and like I recommend:
1. One Day by David Nicholls
2. How to Kill a Rockstar by Tiffanie DeBartolo
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Try An Unquiet Grave by P.J. Parrish. It's part of a series, not the first nook though. It was the first one I read and it turned me onto the rest of the books. A man, Louis, heads back to Michigan to help his adopted father help track down the remains of a woman that he knew. The woman passed away in an asylum that closed up. When they dig up her coffin, it was full of rocks. Louis then tries to solve the mystery of what happened to her. He is also faced with trying to solve murders that happen on the asylum grounds.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

fearstreetlover wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 16:27 I read an arc of #murdertrending by Gretchen McNeil and it is a good book it comes out august 7th 2018
I recently got this book for review as well, but knew almost next to nothing about it so when I saw your comment I perked up. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, now I'm excited to start!
Aly88
Currently Reading: The Voice of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Aly88 »

Have you read any of Ninie Hammon? Stumbled upon The Last Safe Place by her months ago and I thoroughly enjoy her style now.
Skplonk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skplonk.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Skplonk »

The Girl Before by JP Delaney was a really great read that had me on the edge and I think it is being made into a movie.

Also The Gone Trilogy by Stacy Claflin is a kidnapping story thats both horrifying and dramatic with a some love stories mixed in.
llpwap
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llpwap.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by llpwap »

You might want to try Untouchable series by Lindsey Delagair. It's about a young and rich female that has not one but three hitmen after her. The first is actually hired by the mob and ends up falling in love with her. The other two are hired by her step-father's mistress. Its a three part series but it's filled with twists.
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:

The lies they tell by Gillian French is a good book if you like suspense or a Thriller :D :)
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:

The favorite sister by Jessica knoll is also a good book :D :) :ugeek2:

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”