Need a new book to read!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Need a new book to read!

Post by fearstreetlover »

Ten by Gretchen McNeil is also a good book .
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by fearstreetlover »

starshipsaga wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 14:21
fearstreetlover wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 16:27 I read an arc of #murdertrending by Gretchen McNeil and it is a good book it comes out august 7th 2018
I recently got this book for review as well, but knew almost next to nothing about it so when I saw your comment I perked up. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, now I'm excited to start!
did you like the book because ten was also good :ugeek2:
Elizabeth Gipson
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-gipson.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Elizabeth Gipson »

Hello,
Pending on the genre you enjoy I can recommend a few books across the board. If you like documentary type of books, I would strongly suggest "Go Ask Alice" by Beatrice Sparks. This book is about a young teenager in that began in a warm, loving home, but became addicted to gateway drugs, and soon after cocaine and meth. The description of this tale, is true and very descriptive of the extreme consequences of the main character's life. It gives the reader insight of the beginning stages of drug addictions and how it drastically alters a person's future and life by affecting a person's relationship between family and old friends, their new relationships and ideals, as well as their perception of hopelessness in the. The book is very fast paced and great for a person that likes to read in short spurts. But it also helps give psychological understanding to how significantly addiction can alter a person, no matter what background a person may derive from.

I can also recommend "The Skin I Am In" by Sharon G., It is a realistic fiction novel, but spreads a powerful message, that the skin you are born in whether you are black, white, purple, brown, or pink, is beautiful. It is a fiction book, but historical fiction, based during the time of when schools began to merge the social barriers by allowing black and white students go to the same schools. This is an amazing book to read if you would like a clean, insightful book that will allow you to understand the racial divide between students, teachers, and parents. The book is set in the eyes of a child, so through those eyes you are able to understand the confusion of a young girl to not be able to understand why people don't like her skin, when she shared the same color as her mother and father, but it is such a problem socially. I think this is an amazing read, and would read it time and time again. The author did a magnificent job in portraying society without being too crude with the nature of the times.

I would also recommend " Four Nights with the Duke by Eloisa James. This book is a romance novel, but is based in the 1900's when women were not known for working, and could not own property. The leading lady, however, is an accomplished author and must deal with the dilemma of marrying the man that made fun of her as a child, and forgetting her once betrothed, or losing her family home, and possibly her nephew because of her uncles hunger for greed. This romance novel starts slow, but picks up speed as you see the connection between the two characters slowly ignite into a strong loving bond. But what he does to win her heart is the reason to make it to the end.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

Russell Burke wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 15:31 The latter is about an FBI trainee named Clarice Starling, who is tasked with finding a serial killer who targets women and skins his victims for some unknown reason. To help in her search, she consults with already-imprisoned serial killer and psychiatrist Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and the two develop a strange (not romantic) relationship.

Again, I haven't actually read these, but I can confirm the film adaptation of The Silence of the Lambs is excellent, so I imagine the book is worthwhile too.
Silence of the Lambs is a fantastic book - even better than the movie! I am personally not a horror fan, but I loved the mystery aspect to it! It was just creepy enough to send shivers down your spine, but not creepy enough to give you nightmares. The characters are realistic and thoughtful, and the plot is thrilling! I cannot recommend this book enough!
CG1103
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cg1103.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by CG1103 »

Have you read books my Karin Slaughter? I have the the Grant County series, maybe the firs 3 or 4 books a few years ago. "Blindsighted" is the first book. Grisly crimes in this series. But her writing is great and I had a hard time putting the books down.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

River's End by Nora Roberts is an interesting one as well.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I liked The Fire Inside Us by Mylisa Anderson. It's a fun mystery-romance.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

For horror I would reccomend The Naturalist by Andrew Mayne. It's the first in a series about hunting serial killers.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Cardui
Currently Reading: Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cardui »

You might enjoy the author Ted Dekker. His books tend to be slightly disturbing if not horror and most include some romance. You might also like Perfume: The Story of a Murder
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

To satisfy your horror penchant, I would recommend "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote and "Tales of Love, Madness and Death" by Horacio Quiroga.

For angsty romance, I would recommend The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima.

And finally, for equestrian riding, I will cheat and recommend anything by Dick Francis. His books are thrillers, but centered around horse racing, both on the flat and steeplechasing. He was a jockey himself in his youth.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”