Coming of age stories?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Bearmouse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Coming of age stories?

Post by Bearmouse »

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some coming-of-age stories about young characters. I don't mind any fantasy / sci-fi / romance / humorous / horror elements but at the same time not looking for a pure chick lit or a juvenile story. Even if the plot would be supernatural, I'd still want it and the characters to be believable and relatable. I cannot list any similar books because I simply don't know any, but TV shows like My So Called Life or a video game Life Is Strange come to mind.
From what I've seen on the forum so far, you guys are super knowledgeable so thanks in advance for any potential tips!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm not sure if you're looking for something that covers a span of years from childhood to adulthood, or looking for an account of a time in which someone 'grows up' in the sense of losing their childhood innocence, but you might like to consider Spies by Michael Frayn. It's narrated by an old man, looking back on an incident in his boyhood, in Britain, during the Second World War.
Bearmouse

Post by Bearmouse »

Sounds great, thank you.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

A book that seems to have gone out of fashion, but I love - 'How Green was my Valley' by Richard Llywelyn about a child coming of age in a mining community in Wales. More in a fantasy vein, Ursula le Guin's books are evocative and moving.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”