Desperate for more LGBTQ Sci-fi/Fantasy Fiction

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
lfdanko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lfdanko.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Desperate for more LGBTQ Sci-fi/Fantasy Fiction

Post by lfdanko »

<t>Any suggestions? Right now the only books I've read within both of these genres would be the Welcome to Night Vale novels, Troll by Johanna Sinisalo, The Swords of Riverside books by Ellen Kushner, and Adijan and Her Genie by L-J Baker. I'm not necessarily looking for romance driven novels, I'm simply tired of being fully absorbed in a fantasy when suddenly a sub-plot (or even the main plot) veers toward a straight romance. It's not the author's fault I can't bring myself to care about this, but it never fails to throw me out of the story.

I'm hoping to read more genre fiction about characters I can relate to. Though I tend to be wary of historical fiction due to a tendency to end in tragedy, I'm willing to give most stories a chance. Even fiction with a slight surreal twist would be of interest. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I look forward to bulking up my collection of LGBTQ fiction.</t>
stampincatlady
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stampincatlady »

There's a series of sci-fi / fantasy novels by L. C. Mawson. They're intended for YA audiences, so the characters are late teens and there's no graphic sex, but the ones I've read seem to revolve around lesbian relationships. Not sure if they're available as anything other than e-books.
tvess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by tvess »

Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch series gives everyone female pronouns, so really none of it is straight though it isn't very focused on romance, and it includes an asexual aromantic main character.

Also I'm a huge fan of Martha Wells' All Systems Red. The main character is agender, aromantic, and asexual.

Maybe you're looking for more books that actively include non-straight relationships, but I thought I would mention them since they're very good and void of straight romance.

If you actively want romance: in The Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff, the main three characters are a guy who is bi, a guy who is questioning (he's from a culture that is homophobic, though the majority of the book isn't set there), and a girl who is aromantic and asexual (though the author wasn't aware of the terms). I'm currently reading it and it seems alright so far. While I don't want to look into it to spoil myself, it seems likely that the main two guys are going to end up together (unless the three end up polyamorous, which doesn't seem entirely impossible so far).

Also there are a ton of lists out there with LGBTQ+ books, though I don't have any specific ones to lead you to. Good luck on your search!
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Here's a list I found of LGBTQ Sci-fi & Fantasy I found on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/767 ... nd_Fantasy

I see some really good stuff on there, a bunch that I've read and enjoyed. Ellen Kushner's Riverside books, for example, are praised for their diversity and for being LGBTQ-friendly, with focus on LGBTQ characters. I would definitely start your search here, hope it helps!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Do you know The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula le Guin? It is definitely sci-fi, but may not fit so well into LGTBQ - it's about a planet where the inhabitants are all gender-fluid.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

For SciFi you could try Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold. It is a side story in her Miles Vorkosigan universe. The main character, Ethan, is from a very isolated planet inhabited solely by men. He leaves on a mission to the closest space station and encounters the outside world/ culture/ bigotry for the first time. The romance is very light, but the story is nice because Bujold doesn't keep banging the reader over the head with "but see! its a GAY guy!" He just is. Bujold is a really solid writer with excellent character development, grammar, and plot to her stories. She also has a light enough touch that her worlds don't get bogged down, which can be a drawback of fantasy and sci-fi.
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

You might want to try Seanan McGuire. She writes under a bazillion different names, but she has a pretty lbgq-diverse cast. Every Heart a Doorway is a Hugo winner and a good option. Likewise, Elizabeth Bear prefers her characters complicated :-) SHe has/had a pretty brilliant short story up on Uncanny for free called "She Still Loves the Dragon" that you might try.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”