Book series

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Book series

Post by pinefamily »

While I can understand that some sci-fi and fantasy stories are too large to fit into one book, some series do feel a little padded out. I do occasionally feel a bit peeved that it is almost impossible to find a stand alone book, more so in the fantasy genre.
Does anyone else feel this way? And any suggestions of good stand alone fantasy novels?
Alexander di Angelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00YD53YQU

Post by Alexander di Angelo »

I know what you mean , whenever I read a scifi book series it feels like it never ends most series start great but after maybe the 3 book it gets boring . There are exceptions like : Lord of the rings , Harry Potter ...
One of the stand aline scifi books that I like is The Host , look it up its realy good the character development is amazing and the writing style is really smooth . Any book suggestions for me ?
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

It's worse when you find a good book in a secondhand store, or at a fair, only to discover it's Book 2, or 3.
Sci-fi doesn't seem to suffer as much as fantasy from this problem. Have to admit, I haven't read a sci-fi novel for a year or two.
A good older one is "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Don't know why, but that one has stuck in my memory. Also a big fan of Philip K. Dick's work.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”