Surreal/Similiar to 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep'?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
tatjok
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 7

Surreal/Similiar to 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep'?

Post by tatjok »

Hello, I need a suggestion for my next huge reading. I love Philip K. Dick's style, and I want to know other authors who have a common and similiar writing style as him. I love surreal, sci-fi and satire all perfectly blended onto a piece of writing :D
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

It's always tough for me to recommend anything to other Philip K. Dick fans because as we all know he has his own very distinct style that few have succeeded in emulating, and he's very much his own bizarre genre :D

A lot of people who like his stuff also enjoy cyberpunk though, so I was wondering if you're into the genre. William Gibson's Neuromancer, Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, and Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series all have that sort of gritty surrealism I found interesting.
antoi1994
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by antoi1994 »

This may seem odd but if you like fantasy and haven't read the whole series of Pittacus Lore's 'I am Number Four', it would be a good and worthy time spent on reading. Just a suggestion though.
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

starshipsaga wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 14:19 It's always tough for me to recommend anything to other Philip K. Dick fans because as we all know he has his own very distinct style that few have succeeded in emulating, and he's very much his own bizarre genre :D

A lot of people who like his stuff also enjoy cyberpunk though, so I was wondering if you're into the genre. William Gibson's Neuromancer, Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, and Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs series all have that sort of gritty surrealism I found interesting.
I came here to suggest Neuromancer and Snowcrash, so right on friend These two are kind of the granddaddies of cyberpunk. Neuromancer is full of very vivid characters and just truly amazing world building. It has the same gritty, underground vibe as Electric Sheep. Snowcrash is so much fun to read. It's, basically, about virtual reality but includes a ton of that cyberpunk imagery. The plot is also just really exciting, it was on of those books I just couldn't put down.
billaicher
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by billaicher »

Have you read anything by Brian Aldiss? The collection of short stories that contains Supertoys Last All Summer Long is pretty fantastic (it's the story the movie AI was based off of).
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

Stansilav Lem! (Come on, there's a reason why Dick accused him of being a communist plot!) Solaris is the one everybody knows, but I personally think Fiasco is more fun.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”