looking for suggestions

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Jenn5855
Bookshelf Size: 0

looking for suggestions

Post by Jenn5855 »

I've been going through a lot of books lately, so i want some suggestions about what i should read next. I prefer series, the longer the better. Here are some of the books I've read recently,

Harry Potter (favorite series )
Hunger Games
Divergent
The Southern Vampire Mysteries (the Sookie Stackhouse series)
Stephanie Plum series
Diesel and Lizzy series
Kinsey Millhone series (alphabet books)

I don't do romance, i don't mind a little in the stories, but i prefer mystery, crime, etc.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Hi, Jenn, and welcome! I expect you're already encountered George R Martin's 'Game of Thrones'. Also have a look at Terry Brook's Shannara (sp?) series, and Anne McCafferty's books. Hope these suggestions are helpful!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

My go-to recommendation for these specs is always going to be Seanan McGuire's Toby Daye series. Urban fantasy, with a good dose of mystery, and a great cast of characters. Fae to the nth degree!

There's also Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Main character a magical P.I., so mystery is well covered. Wizard/fae/vampires/magic.

If you can give some specifics for what you enjoy (for instance, I am a sucker for Death as a character!), I can dig deeper into my jumbled brain for more appropriate suggestions.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

If you enjoyed Hunger Games and Divergent, the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman is meant to be a really good bit of dystopian YA fiction.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Harry Potter and Stephanie Plum makes me thing that you might like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :)
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

If you like The Hunger Games and Divergent, I would recommend checking out the Red Rising saga by Pierce Brown. It's intense!

Your mention of the Southern Vampire Mysteries/Sookie Stackhouse also makes me think you may enjoy the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. It's urban fantasy series about a coyote shapeshifter protagonist who lives with werewolves, and there are also other paranormal creatures in her world like vampires, fae, etc. There's a bit of mystery and it's also light on romance.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I would recommend everything from Robin Hobb. However, my favorite from her is The Farseer trilogy.
Varsha+ Kaul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha-kaul.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by Varsha+ Kaul »

Hi . Do you like Resident Evil?

If yes. You might like the book " Genesis" which is based on the screenplay of the first Resident Evil movie. It gives a more in depth look into the story, and who Umbrella is etc.

The author's name is Keith R.A. DeCandido.

There is also a prequel to this called "zero hour" which is closer to the game, and is before the Resident evil 2002 movie took place. It's more about the STAR team.

There are many others in the series after that but I've only read two so far . I think you will like . :) tc
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by 500281 »

Just joined the site 5 minutes ago..... Wanted to recommend a book by Shifra Horn (Horne) entitled, "Shalom Japan". Read it about 8 years ago and thought it was hilarious (in case you're looking for some humor). BTW, it is a true story. :angelic-blueglow:
Amerial168

Post by Amerial168 »

The tales of unfortunate events, chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings...
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

BookishCreature wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 02:12 Harry Potter and Stephanie Plum makes me thing that you might like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :)
This book should be compulsory reading!

The series loses its way a bit but Hitchhiker's Guide is one of the most consistently hilarious books I've ever read. :)
Vampirepotato4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vampirepotato4 »

Try 'Maggie Get Your Gun' and series by Kate Danley. Main character is a private eye- which is why i thought it might fit your criteria- but also a fun bad-ass heroine. There is definitely some romance but not stifling at all.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”