Looking for something Adult and Child friendly

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Icon Looking for something Adult and Child friendly

Post by jessinikkip »

Hello! This is my first time coming here for a book recommendation, but I need some help. A friend's son wants to read a book with me so he can have someone to talk to the book about. I'm going to try and keep on the same pace he does - about a chapter or two a day. He is 10 so a lot of my books wouldn't be the right fit.

The things we both have in common is a love of soccer and rugby along with supernatural themes like vampires, ghosts and demons. Neither of us is big on a love story, unless there is more to it than just the romance. He's a big science person while I like history. Just not sure what to choose for us and would love some help.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There's a book I just reviewed called Grave Robbers that might be a good fit for both of you. It's a young adult story with a supernatural theme. It's a good versus evil type thing but with a twist... You might want to try that one...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Does your friend's son like Sci-Fi/Fantasy Adventure? There's a great series of Middle Grade books called Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians by fantasy author Brandon Sanderson. It's entertaining and funny, and like all of Sanderson's books it's got great world-building and imagination. As an adult, it's hard for me to get into a lot of MG/Children's series, but this was one I genuinely enjoyed.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Throwing in a huuuuge recommendation for anything by Rick Riordan, if either of you have any interest in mythology. The books are easy enough reads for a 10-year-old and still funny and exciting for adults. :)
Miss Understood
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Miss Understood »

I don't have children of my own, so i am unsure what grade a 10 year old would be in. There are chapter books I remember from my childhood. The Littles series by John Peterson is one I enjoyed. Of course the Paddington series by Michael Bond i still remember. The Mishmash series by Molly Cone was a favorite as well. One that is for an older child or for the young at heart is the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. All of these i think that a boy would enjoy. If you would like more input from me i could probably relate more if i knew the grade he was in at school or his reading level grade. I will be thinking of more that are more geared towards boys. I will comment again if i think of better books. I hope you find something you both enjoy and you both share books and bonding for a lifetime.
kimgfien
Currently Reading: The Expelled
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by kimgfien »

A wrinkle in time is a great adult and children series
Joanna82
Currently Reading: The Spy
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Joanna82 »

I would recommend the Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine. It's fun for kids, and it can be fun for an adult to read too. ;)
jessinikkip

Post by jessinikkip »

Thank you all for the great suggestions! He is nearing the end of his 5th grade year this year. I took a look over all of the books suggested and I am definitely intrigued by Rick Riordan. I love the Greek myths and it seems like it has just enough adventure for him. But I think we might start with the Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians series. It seems like it will be just what he's been looking for. I'll get the first one and we'll read it together and see what we think :)
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I hope you both enjoy it! Actually from reading this thread, I was also intrigued by the recommendation of Rick Riordan. His Percy Jackson & the Olympians series is something I've always wanted to try too.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

You can't go wrong with Harry Potter! I started it when I was 11 and still reread frequently as an adult.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I agree about Harry Potter. Or maybe Artemis Fowl or Narnia. From how you described both of you I think Artemis could be a good choice.
jessinikkip

Post by jessinikkip »

I do recall reading Artemis Fowl a while back to see what it was about and liking it. I'll definitely add those to the list :)
Nikki1991
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Nikki1991 »

Goosebumps is the best series, I miss the good days...
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne.
The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before, that's the deal. - C.S Lewis
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

kimgfien wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 17:58 A wrinkle in time is a great adult and children series
I never read this book growing up and I'm thinking about seeing the movie when it comes out soon! I usually prefer to read the book first, but the movie looks really cool.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”