Historical Fiction Help!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Icon Historical Fiction Help!

Post by N_R »

Hi there,
Hope you all had a good new year! Looking forward to lots more reading and reviewing this year.

I am on the lookout for a great historical fiction novel to read. Ideally I like books which are more history than fiction....just a little bit of fiction to fill in a few gaps here and there. My favourite author is Philippa Gregory who writes a lot of Tudor novels. I love the Tudor era but also colonisation and royalty. Any suggestions from people about books to read?

:techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-reference:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I've just started reading The Sunne in Splendour which is discussed on this thread. So far, it seems pretty good.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Libs_Books wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:39 I've just started reading The Sunne in Splendour which is discussed on this thread. So far, it seems pretty good.
I was about to recommend that one! I read it a while ago and it follows actual history very closely. She’s very much on Richard IIIs side and I’m not sure anybody in that period could be a paragon. However, it’s a cracking read and very educational. I used to be a medieval reenactor and we represented the household of Richard III. This book was considered the best novel for this period by the group.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Helen_Combe wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 03:16
Libs_Books wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 15:39 I've just started reading The Sunne in Splendour which is discussed on this thread. So far, it seems pretty good.
I was about to recommend that one! I read it a while ago and it follows actual history very closely. She’s very much on Richard IIIs side and I’m not sure anybody in that period could be a paragon. ...This book was considered the best novel for this period by the group.
Well, it's certainly better that Philippa Gregory - but, yes, I'm just over half-way through now and Penman's got her work cut out to make Richard look good. The first quarter of the book was brilliant, and I a very much looking forward to the latter stages (except that I don't want him to die and get buried beneath a car park).
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Libs_Books wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 13:57 [(except that I don't want him to die and get buried beneath a car park).
I don’t want to spoil the end of the story for you, however.....
🚗🚙🚗🚙
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

My Historical Fiction Recommendations:
1. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
2. Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler
3. Number the Stars by Louis Lowry
4. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
5. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”