Recommendations for my daughter

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
ashleythefairy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Recommendations for my daughter

Post by ashleythefairy »

One of my favourite books series of all time is The Sister's Grimm by Micheal Buckley. This is a great fantasy series for kids which I read when I was in fifth grade. I would definitely recommend!
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

Diana Wynn Jones! Howel's Moving Castle is actually the first book of trilogy (not just a stand-alone). Patricia C. Wrede and Tamora Pierce are both great suggestions. Also, Lloyd Alexander's Black Cauldron books.
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

Ooooh, and EVERYTHING Bruce Coville ever touched! Goblins in the Castle is a particularly good choice, in my not terribly humble opinion.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

These suggestions are great. My son is 8 and reads above his grade level as well. I understand what you mean about finding interesting books at a higher reading level that still has appropriate content. I will have to look into some of these suggestions as well.
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by fearstreetlover »

I googled some books and these 2 sounded good for her age and reading level The Alchemyst

by Michael Scott

and
Inkheart

by Cornelia Funke
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

A Wrinkle in Time is always a winner. There's also the Upside-Down Magic series by Sarah Mlynowski about a group of kids at a magic school who have powers that have gone weird. Also The Ever After series by Shelby Bach. I best describe it as Percy Jackson but with fairytales.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Imarru
Currently Reading: Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 6
Bookshelf Size: 462

Post by Imarru »

She might like the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate, something I liked about this series is the books can be read out of order without very much confusion.
Other series I would reccomend:
My Sister the Vampire series by Sienna Mercer
Vampire Island by Adele Griffin, I liked these books because I thought it was an interesting take on vampires.
Mommaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mommaj »

Anne of Greene Gables is the best book series! Harry Potter series is good too but I don't know how you feel about witches and wizards. And the books are way better than the movies.
facelesswoodsman
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facelesswoodsman.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by facelesswoodsman »

I have several recommendations, if you don't mind.

Other people have already suggested Cornelia Funke's books -- I highly recommend her book Dragon Rider in particular!
I also VERY highly recommend Where The Mountain Meets The Moon by Grace Lin.

If your daughter likes mythology, she should definitely try Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman. It's a very short read, but it's a wonderful story.

The Unicorn's Secret series by Kathleen Duey is below your daughter's reading level (they're advanced chapter books) but I recommend them anyway; the author does not "dumb down" the writing at any point, and it's a very good, intriguing story with a vividly described immersive fantasy world and well-developed, likable characters.

The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull is absolutely fantastic, but she might enjoy those more when she's a little older. (It can get scary at times and there are several scenes that describe characters getting injured/bleeding -- but it never gets horribly gruesome.)
Actually, I found Fablehaven to be just as appealing to adults as it is to kids, so if you'd like you could read them first to see if they'd be appropriate for her.

I have a few other recommendations that aren't technically in the fantasy genre but still have magical elements to them, so she might like them:

The Doll People by Ann M. Martin and Laura Godwin is a fun read about dolls who are secretly alive. They sneak out of their dollhouse at night in search of a long-lost doll who mysteriously disappeared years before.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo is another story about a toy who is alive -- it's about what happens to a rabbit doll after he is separated from the girl he belongs to. I'm not a huge fan of Kate DiCamillo's books myself, but I honestly adored this one.

Beyond The Laughing Sky by Michelle Cuevas is about a boy who is part-bird trying to figure out how and why he is the way he is and which world he belongs in. As cliche as this may sound, this book really warmed my heart. The characters are very endearing and the writing style gave me a pleasant, happy feeling -- it is a bittersweet story, though, so if your daughter really doesn't like books with sad parts she should probably skip this one for now.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

What better age to introduce your daughter to The Harry Potter series than 12? You can start by gifting her the first book. Let her grow with the characters!
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I enjoyed reading the Monster Blood Tattoo series by D.M. Cornish.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

I think the Redwall series is around that reading level. It's about a community of animals that go on adventures and have feasts. The mice, badgers, hedgehogs etc are the "good guys" but then there's stoats and rats and other "bad" animals that steal or cheat which leads to warrior mice defending the abbey. This is a terrible terrible description but hopefully you get the idea.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Cswrawr wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 19:01 I think the Redwall series is around that reading level. It's about a community of animals that go on adventures and have feasts. The mice, badgers, hedgehogs etc are the "good guys" but then there's stoats and rats and other "bad" animals that steal or cheat which leads to warrior mice defending the abbey. This is a terrible terrible description but hopefully you get the idea.
I fogot about these! I agree. They are great books.
Maja Saveva
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maja Saveva »

Chronicles of Naria is veryy good.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang