Recommendations for my daughter

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Recommendations for my daughter

Post by story3girl »

I'm always looking for suggestions for my 7 year old daughter who reads at a fifth grade level. She loves fantasy especially, but the content can't be too adult because she's so little.
Basicallymargo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Basicallymargo »

Percy Jackson! It's a series if books by Rick Riordan about teens born to God and human parents. They go out on adventures to save the world, and which each book the reading level and plot become slightly more complex. If she likes them there's also a bunch of spin-off series written by the same author. However if that's a little too much (since your daughter is 7, although ahead of the reading game) you can try the book series Clementine. They might be an easy read for her, but they've still got a pretty good plot and are fun to read! Good luck!!!
AngMS
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angms.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by AngMS »

If she has yet to read the Chronicles of Naria I highly recommend them! That is a great series to tackle expecially for your daughter's reading level and love of fantasy!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

Thank you both!
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede. I read it with my parents around that age and I loved it! It's the first of a series.
xXMaria121Xx
Currently Reading: The Power Of Hello
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xXMaria121Xx »

I enjoyed reading The Lunar Chronicles, it is a set of 4 main books (there are also side stories such as a comic and a few short stories that are in between the different books) by Marissa Meyer. It includes action and a bit of romance but nothing inappropriate for children. The story is set in a dystopian future which is very cool and you just can't put the books down!
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I second “Dealing With Dragons”! It’s still one of my favorite series as an adult.

“Frogkisser” by Garth Nix might be up her alley to about a princess who has to make a magical lip balm to save her older sister’s boyfriend from staying a frog forever.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I I know I was reading Eragon around that age and I really enjoyed the series. There's also The Divide which is an amazing kids fantasy book that I loved when I was young. I'd definitely also consider Scott Westerfield's Leviathan series for her as well. It's historical fiction, but in an alternate steampunk universe which is really interesting. Plus, it's got some fantastic illustrations as well which makes the read a lot of fun.
Carmen K
Favorite Author: J.D. Robb
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4006

Post by Carmen K »

Anything by Tamora Pierce - she has a bunch of great series most with a strong female lead character.
Also the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer is fun.
The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper - this one has a few dark moments but nothing super heavy and was one of my favorites as a child.
For one or two years down the road I would also recommend the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flannaghan and anything by David Eddings - though I would start with The Belgariad series.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

Anything from Cornelia Funke is also recommended. I loved those books when I was younger. Still love Inkheart (book, not the movie).
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

The Chronicles of Narnia is a really great place to start.

Maybe when she's a little older, try the Redwall books. A wonderful series with animals as the central characters, and a good mix of male and female heroes and villains, too.
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Noah Barleywater Runs Away by John Boyne.

Its a short book ( a bit more than 100 pages IIRC ) and says the story of a boy who runs away from home because his mother is very sick, has some interesting symbolism and plot wist but very children-friendly. You can read with her too I'm sure you will like it.
Vampirepotato4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vampirepotato4 »

Try 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'- it's really interesting and the writer's style is fun. I read it in the fifth grade and really loved it
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

How about Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted? And then Fairest.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by glitterrain »

Julie of the Wolves and its sequel Julie by Jean Craighead George pops to mind. The first one was the book that made me wolf-mad when I was about that age.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”