Teen/YA Princess books?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Simba13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Teen/YA Princess books?

Post by Simba13 »

I'm looking for something that focuses on "royalty training". One of my favorites is the False Prince. I love the writing style, the fact that the romance is there but not the main focus, and the general idea. I liked the premise of the Selection series, but wasn't a fan of the dystopian setting or the writing style (I'm quite picky about writing style).

Most of the time I read classic literature (i.e Jane Austen), but I'm looking for something more fitting for an 18 year old girl.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I am not sure if this will fit the bill, but a YA series I enjoyed was "Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard. There are two other books in the series, "King's Cage" and "Glass Sword". Might be worth looking into. Good luck on your hunt!
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Hey, not sure if this fits but have you read/heard of The Royal Diaries? I think these books were published early 2000s, by different authors, all based on historical princesses. Written from the princesses' points of view. They were fun to read and seemed to be accurate in terms of history, timelines, plots, etc. But of course there was always something extra added, especially to do with romance from what I recall since they were targeting girl readers. There was one about Mary Queen of Scots as a kid, for example. Can't remember much more but I read plenty of them.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for since it's not exactly "royalty training" so much as it's "learning you're royalty" and focuses somewhat on a revolution...but have you looked into The Lunar Chronicles (Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Winter) by Marissa Meyer? I read the False Prince some time ago, and while I can't say the books are super similar, I feel like the characters are comparable in a sense?

It might not be your cup of tea, of course, but I think you might enjoy Cinder.
swirlofink
Currently Reading: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by swirlofink »

This isn't a series, however Royally Lost by Angie Stanton was a really enjoyable, fluffy, easy read. It isn't a princess, but the male protagonist is a prince!
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

This might not fit the "royal" theme, but I would like to float the suggestion of Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger. It follows a protagonist who is a bit of a tomboy, but her mother wants her to be a proper lady so she sends her to this finishing school which actually ends up being a cover for some kind of spy academy. It's YA fantasy with some steampunk-y elements. I've also seen some readers describe Carriger's writing/stories as "Regency style" which makes me think it might appeal to fans of Austen or Austenesque fiction.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Heyy, have you tried the Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot? If not try it. There's also the series Royally by Emma Chase, but it doesn't really focus on the training.
Vampirepotato4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vampirepotato4 »

Might want to look into the 'Selection' series by Kiera Cass if you haven't already
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Victoria Rebels by Carolyn Meyer is a good read. It is written as a personal diary of Queen Victoria. It is a historical fiction.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”