I'm a noob when it comes to reading, where should I start?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
grantking211577
Bookshelf Size: 0

I'm a noob when it comes to reading, where should I start?

Post by grantking211577 »

Hello! I'm an absolute noobie when it comes to books. I can't name any specific titles that appealed to me. However, I'm looking for books with characters that I can learn to love and relate to. I want a not-too-sappy story that makes you think. I don't mind gore, violence, explicit content, or dark undertones. Overall, I want to read a book that is not only entertaining and interesting, but also captivating. I want to feel consumed by this book. I want to yearn for more and crave every next page.

This may sound very vague, but I hope that a certain title that meets at least half of these characteristics comes to mind. If so, I would very much appreciate it if you shared that title with me.

Thanks! :) :tiphat:

Signature: "There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved." - Amantine Lucile Aurore Dupin (Pseudonym: George Sand)
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Is the definition of a noob a 'newbie'? I have seen this word before, but I've never known what it meant.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Yes, noob means newbie. It is a nerd term that started as n00b and usually meant someone who was new at a video game.
Aarondupont202
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarondupont202.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aarondupont202 »

That will depend on what genre you enjoy reading but on of my favorites in Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. This is a space Sci-Fi full of action and characters to love and hate. If you are looking for a series I would recommend picking up the first Harry Potter and getting lost in their magical world.

Both of those are favorites of mine and are both on my library shelf at home.
Hope that helps :D
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Simba13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Simba13 »

I would definitely recommend the Harry Potter series. I know a lot of people who have gotten into reading with that series, and it appeals to all ages. The writing style is excellent but still easy to understand, the story is engaging and highly original, the characters are relatable and there is really good character development.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”