Which are the best horror books?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: Which are the best horror books?

Post by Polgesteirg »

Stephen King and Lovecraft are very good suggestions as previously said. I would also recommend some of Poe's short stories. If you like the detective style you might enjoy the Hannibal Lecter series, especially Silence of the Lambs.
Smmarie1988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmarie1988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Smmarie1988 »

I highly recommend anything by Clive Barker. Give Coldheart Canyon a shot. Really creepy ghost story.
kristenjc
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by kristenjc »

I'm currently reading Ill Will by Dan Chaon. It's not exactly a horror book but it could fall between the category of that and thriller novels. Definitely would recommend checking it out.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I have always been spooked to the highest level by House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It has been translated into a number of languages, and is followed by a companion piece, The Whalestoe Letters.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

I'm currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman right now and honestly, the reason I'm writing this post is because I had to stop and take a break. It is THAT creepy. If you like horror with a lot of suspense, that's the one to go for.* I'm also interested in his other book, Black Mad Wheel, though it's a little bit more conspiracy-based, which I'm skeptical about. But if it's as tense as Bird Box, I'll gladly read it.

*Of course, I could very well reach the end and decide I hate it, but even if I do, I might recommend it anyway if just because it's so enjoyable thus far.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

EWatson02 wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:13 I'm currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman right now and honestly, the reason I'm writing this post is because I had to stop and take a break. It is THAT creepy. If you like horror with a lot of suspense, that's the one to go for.* I'm also interested in his other book, Black Mad Wheel, though it's a little bit more conspiracy-based, which I'm skeptical about. But if it's as tense as Bird Box, I'll gladly read it.

*Of course, I could very well reach the end and decide I hate it, but even if I do, I might recommend it anyway if just because it's so enjoyable thus far.
Update: I've finished Bird Box. No question, it is the best horror book I've ever read. I sobbed at the ending. Please read this one, if you are interested in horror even a little bit.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Adding on to Stephen King recommendations, It was my favorite, followed by Bag of Bones and Hearts in Atlantis.
SamanthaD11815
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SamanthaD11815 »

Stephen King is the best author for horror books! In my personal opinion, IT, the book, is way better than the movies. It's more detailed.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

Bag of bones sounds and looks very interesring, adding to my to be read and buying it now! Any suggestions as to how much free time ill need? In other words is it a book you just cant put down?
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Stephen King always terrifies me when it comes to horror.
I scare easily though, I remember R.L. Stine giving me nightmares in my childhood.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think Stephen King does them best, in my opinion.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”