Is anybody read authors Soviet period of Russia?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Randera2017
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is anybody read authors Soviet period of Russia?

Post by Randera2017 »

I am Russian and I am interesting for reading Russian books by Soviet period. It's not surely politics? but perhaps art, detectives, fantastic. Of course all soviet books was politicized. Soviet Union integrated many nations of Europe and Asia, therefor literature was international.
Such authors like Ayitmatov (art), Julian Semenov (detectives), Strugatskiye bros. (fantastic), Wainer bros. (detectives), A. Solzhenitsyn (dissidents).
What authors you know? Or, may be, read?
Joelkeyz
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Joelkeyz »

Hello there, your sentence construction makes it hard for one to understand what you're saying or asking. Copy that?
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Randera2017 wrote:I am Russian and I am interesting for reading Russian books by Soviet period. It's not surely politics? but perhaps art, detectives, fantastic. Of course all soviet books was politicized. Soviet Union integrated many nations of Europe and Asia, therefor literature was international.
Such authors like Ayitmatov (art), Julian Semenov (detectives), Strugatskiye bros. (fantastic), Wainer bros. (detectives), A. Solzhenitsyn (dissidents).
What authors you know? Or, may be, read?
You should have written : I am Russian and interested in reading Russian books about the Soviet Union/ Soviet period. Do you think that it's mainly about politics or do the books have other themes? Which books have you read about the Soviet period and what themes are there?

I hope that's what you are asking.
Randera2017

Post by Randera2017 »

Thank you for notification. I have no practice in English. But sometimes I am travelling and using Simple English. I trying to type in English automatically after secondary school and high school.
I am seeking a work now, and I want to open a new dimensions in my mind. May be new friends or pen-friends only. A little attention for me not hurt.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I can't say I've read Russian authors from the Soviet period. The only Russian author I've actually read is Dostoyevsky. Are there any Russian authors you would recommend for someone not very familiar with Russian literature?
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but when it comes to Russian literature I'd always recommend Crime & Punishment or The Brothers Karamazov by Doestoevesky.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Could I suggest 'Dr Zhivago' by Boris Pasternak, which was a book before it was the (excellent) film.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Hi there, The Thirteenth Hour by John Lee is an older book....its about war sorry... but really one of the best I have read.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I have read several of Solzhenitsyn's books, but I know mainly the classics : Dostoyevsky, Pushkin, Gogol, Chekhov and Turgenev.

I have a good friend, a scientist, from CCCP. We worked together. I surprised him one day by reciting Krylov from memory. He was shocked that I knew Krylov and even more shocked that I could recite his poems. *LOL* But I was also shocked to learn that he had read Mark Twain, Steinbeck, Hemingway and many other American authors when he was a child in Russia.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita is my favourite from the Soviet era. An amazing piece of magical realism that is also very political.

I first picked it up when I was a teenager and it was unlike anything else I'd ever read.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”