Looking for an immersive new world

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Icon Looking for an immersive new world

Post by KiMB00P »

I really enjoy deep character building and huge immersive worlds that are different from our own. I love sci-fi, fantasy, YA, psychological, and dystopian too. Anything with cults, zombies, magic, pandemics, etc. I want to dive into a world that takes me away from present time. I don't mind bad language or sex.

Love:
A Song of Ice and Fire Series
Harry Potter series
Yesterdays Gone series (zombies)
Wool trilogy
Hunger Games series
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Let's see... Have you read the Hive trilogy? The name of the first book is Ash. That's a pretty good one. (and available on Kindle Unlimited if you have it.)

If you are a TRUE sci fi lover, you might like Through the Hostage. It's a little confusing in the beginning, but if you stick with it, it all comes together in the end.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

If romance is on the table, I would definitely suggest Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. Great characters, amazing world building.

Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy. Zombies by way of a mutated virus. Again, great world building.

And the author behind the pen name of Mira Grant, Seanan McGuire. Her October Daye series just keeps getting better.

Sadly, while I have recently gotten into ASoIaF, I haven't read much in that genre otherwise. At least not recently. :(

If a standalone suggestion is welcome, try The Chess Garden by Brooks Hansen, or Noah's Wife by T. K. Thorne.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

Thanks guys! I will add all these to my tbr list! :)

If anyone else has suggestions as well, definitely leave them here! I read for a few hours everyday and get through them pretty quick.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I've nearly finished the Shades of Magic series. The first is A darker Shade of Magic

It's got magic (obviously), 3 new worlds to lose yourself in, and romance (but not a predictable one)
It's really good, some great characters and funny bits too.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
JessicaElaine91
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicaelaine91.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by JessicaElaine91 »

kandscreeley wrote:Let's see... Have you read the Hive trilogy? The name of the first book is Ash. That's a pretty good one. (and available on Kindle Unlimited if you have it.)

If you are a TRUE sci fi lover, you might like Through the Hostage. It's a little confusing in the beginning, but if you stick with it, it all comes together in the end.
What is the Hive trilogy abouy?? Do you remember who the author is?? Thank you! I'm also looking for a new series.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Tridibesh
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tridibesh.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Tridibesh »

You should give the Broken Empire trilogy a try if you liked ASOIAF. You could give Dresdan Files a go if like a bit of humor
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I would suggest the Epic trilogy. It’s about a normal Slavish-esque world that is reliant on a video game.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

You might like The Girl of Fire and Thornes. It's definitely got a rather interesting world in my opinion. And the characters are pretty great.

There's also Curio by Evangeline Denmark. It's very steampunk/dystopian and I was immersed and hooked literally a few pages in. It's really hard to describe how amazing this book was without giving things away, but I couldn't put it down from the moment I picked it up.
Carmen K
Favorite Author: J.D. Robb
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4006

Post by Carmen K »

I recommend the following:

The Others series by Anne Bishop (I haven't read her other stuff yet though I've heard good things) - paranormal in it's own world. Awesome characters and great story with some gore
The Lupi series by Eileen Wilks - paranormal but mainly earth based. Smart strong characters that build throughout the series. As the series develops you also get more on the side characters as they grow in importance
The Aliens series by Gini Koch - paranormal, funny and a little steamy. The main character gets thrown into ridiculous yet awesome situations. I can't put these down
The Raine Benares series by Lisa Shearin - paranormal, based it it's own world. Again smart and interesting characters that are fighting an evil gem and the evil henchmen who want to use it for world domination.
The Dowser series, The Oracle series and The Reconstructionist series by Meghan Cianna Doidge. All set in the same world but focus on different main characters.

Love all of these series they are auto buy's for me and slightly dangerous as I will stay up late reading them :)
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Read anything by Brandon Sanderson. If you want a series read Mistborn. If you want a standalone, read either Elantris or Warbreaker.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

If you'd like an idea of the future, it won't get any more immersive than Dune by Frank Herbert!
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Talk about character building-- he spends nearly the first two books doing just that! It's a journey of suspense and a little horror.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I read your question and this is the first association I had. Hex trilogy by RHIANNON LASSITER.
Vampirepotato4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vampirepotato4 »

Try 'Red Rising' by Pierce Brown. The last one's coming out soon so now would be a good time to jump in anyway

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”