Looking for Tudor Historical Fiction

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Looking for Tudor Historical Fiction

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I have an obsession with the Tudor era. It's unhealthy. Anyone have some good recommendations for books about this era? I will read non-fiction too. I've read most of the popular books for this era, like Wolf Hall and Philippa Gregory (who honestly I have pretty mixed feelings about).
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

Were you thinking romance, or anything based in that era? And just how historical? :P
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:

Literally anything based in that era. I don't mind some alternative history novels, if that's what you're asking. :)
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>

Post by Angela Stripes »

Well I guess my mind went a little more fantasy (knights and dragons) than historical. My favorite works in that arena are by Gerald Morris. He writes kids books, but his Squires Tales are more of jr. high level. They're Arthurian legend rewritten, and just a lot of fun.

But more history-based, I though I had one on my shelf but I can't find it. Jack Cavanaugh writes some really realistic historical fiction, he's a Christian author so a lot of faith is wound in with the plot.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:

Ohhh, gotcha. That's totally cool too. I've never heard of those before. They sound really entertaining. I'm going to have to check those out.

I'm not opposed to that at all. Besides, that really makes sense for that time period. So yessss. More things to read :) Thanks, Angela!
Angela Stripes

Post by Angela Stripes »

Yeah, I hope you like them! :D Hope you can get some good finds for Tudor fiction, too.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I love Phillipa Gregory. Shes the reason why I love the Tudor era. If you want you can click on one of her books on Amazon and you will find a multitude of recommendations. I recommend shows The Tudors, Reign and the White Queen if you also like historical fiction shows.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

These are slightly older books so may be harder to find, but I would recommend you look for books by Margaret Irwin, who is very good on the Tudor era. Also, Jean Plaidy wrote some good historical novels set in the period, including some of its possibly less famous characters like Katherine Parr and King Philip II
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:

Londera wrote:I love Phillipa Gregory. Shes the reason why I love the Tudor era. If you want you can click on one of her books on Amazon and you will find a multitude of recommendations. I recommend shows The Tudors, Reign and the White Queen if you also like historical fiction shows.
Thanks! I liked some of her books but they got a bit formulaic for me. She does have a great gift for storytelling! Her "facts" sometimes irk me though. Totally get her appeal though. I loved watching all of those shows. Have you seen Wolf Hall? I keep meaning to give that one a shot although it's not nearly as glitzy as those three.
Lincolnshirelass wrote:These are slightly older books so may be harder to find, but I would recommend you look for books by Margaret Irwin, who is very good on the Tudor era. Also, Jean Plaidy wrote some good historical novels set in the period, including some of its possibly less famous characters like Katherine Parr and King Philip II
I absolutely don't mind older books. I've never heard of Margaret Irwin but I'm going to check her out right now. I've only read one of Jean's books, the one about Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, but I've been meaning to look at the rest of her works. I've never read anything on King Philip II before, but that sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestions!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Following this for suggestions too :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for this post! I also have an unhealthy love of the Tudors and that period in time...if only we were there now! Life would be so much simpler.
Firedrake
Currently Reading: Flamecaster
Bookshelf Size: 696
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firedrake.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Post by Firedrake »

The "Crawford of Lymond" series (staring with "The Game of Kings") by Dorothy Dunnett are very good and set in that time period.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Yes! I love Dorothy Dunnett too, though initially her style can be a bit hard to adjust to.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”