Uncommon Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Uncommon Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Hello all. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I enjoy reading urban fantasy and as a result, I have read most of the 'common' ones. I love Jim Butcher's work and I am a pretty big fan of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series as well as the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka.

My problem with most other Urban Fantasy I have tried is the emphasis on romance. In the books above, while there are romantic elements, they rarely if ever get in the way of the story. Most books fail to keep that divide and slip slowly into the paranormal romance genre that I loathe.

I am looking for more books like the three that I mentioned above, preferably as part of a long series. Individual novels are also fine. :tiphat:
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Try the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. A little romance, mostly in the more recent books, but it's very minor (almost non-existant) and doesn't change the focus of the series.
I've read a lot of UF, and this is one of my favorite series. It's right up there with Dresden and Atticus for me. Possibly higher on my list. It just ticks more boxes for me.

I'll try to think of some others. Like I said, I've read a lot of UF.

-- 01 Jul 2017, 21:18 --

Simon R. Green's Nightside series. However, a warning with this one: this series is very much out there. It's one of my favorites, though, and the characters are so insanely fantastic!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
dreamalittledream
Currently Reading: Pure Soapmaking
Bookshelf Size: 1586

Post by dreamalittledream »

I think you would enjoy The Grimnoir Chronicles series by Larry Correia. The first book is Hard Magic. It is set in an alternate 1930's. It isn't a long series like you are looking for but you might want to check it out regardless. This one has a little romance in the first novel, though a very small amount in my opinion, and if I remember correctly pretty much no romance in the second in the series.

Whatever you read next, I hope it is awesome :)
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Hi Gravy. Glad to meet another fan of UF :tiphat:
Will certainly check out the October Daye series.

As for the Simon R Green series, I have read it, and while it is not one of my favorites, I did enjoy large parts of it. Some of the characters were amazing!

-- 17 Aug 2017, 15:11 --

Thanks for the recommendation, Dreamalittledream. I have read the Monster Hunter Chronicles by Larry Correia and liked it, so I will certainly check out this series as well. Hope you enjoy the books you read too :D
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”