Summer Reading

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.

Which book should I read for summer reading?

Poll ended at 13 Jun 2017, 19:03

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King
No votes
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
No votes
Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes Courter
No votes
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
No votes

Total votes: 0

TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Summer Reading

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

I have summer reading for school (lucky me), and I can't decide which book I want to read (I have 4 options).

This sucks, because it ruins my whole reading schedule (I already had a list of books I wanted to complete, and I told myself I wouldn't start any new books...now I have no choice but to start a new book).

And what's even worse is that none of these books are my tastes. Honestly, why do schools enforce the worst books? They can do so much better. The only books I had to read in school that I enjoyed was To Kill a Mockingbird, The Outsiders, The Odyssey, Of Mice and Men, and Julius Caesar.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I absolutely agree with you, forcing people to read something they don't usually enjoy is the reason why some hate reading. I'm totally against enforcing books, it's rather counterproductive. The books they've given you don't really sound amazing but who knows, maybe you'll enjoy at least some of them. Unbroken seems okay judging by the summary (it's not my cup of tea either, but I'd give it a try).
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

IsabelMay wrote:I absolutely agree with you, forcing people to read something they don't usually enjoy is the reason why some hate reading. I'm totally against enforcing books, it's rather counterproductive. The books they've given you don't really sound amazing but who knows, maybe you'll enjoy at least some of them. Unbroken seems okay judging by the summary (it's not my cup of tea either, but I'd give it a try).
I don't understand why we can't just pick our own books. It'll make the assignment much more enjoyable, and it may even get some people to get into reading.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

I hate school curriculums. Most of the time they are worthless. A lot of the books are better appreciated when you are older and have more life experience. As for your books I have read Unbroken and Three Little Words. Out of the two I would read Three Little Words as it was a quick read. Unbroken is good but very long and of course depressing.

If I had your choices I would read The Darkest Minds. I like Dystopian fiction.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I would go with Laura Hillenbrand.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”