Big fan of a lot of children's Newberry books - recs?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Big fan of a lot of children's Newberry books - recs?

Post by Storygamer88 »

Tried to post a link to newberries but my account won't let me, sorry.

I love children's books and want to try more of these (or Newberry honors if you have recs for them). I've already read a good few on the list but wanna hear what people think are good for my tastes.

The ones I've read and liked include Holes, Tale of Desperaux, Maniac Magee, Dear Me Henshaw, The Westing Game, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, From the Mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler and probably some others. Some non Newberry books I've read and enjoyed were by author's like Roald Dahl, Louis Sachar, Beverly Clearly, Jerry Spinelli, Judy Blume, JK Rowling, Andrew Clements and a few others.

My favorite genre is mystery then probably some sort of adventure or hero/superhero story. I prefer male protagonists if possible.

Dislike stories about race/ethnicity and fantasy/scifi - I want something more grounded in real life but fun. Any thoughts are appreciated - thanks!

-- 06 Jun 2017, 17:57 --

How do I edit my post?

I wanted to add the link to Newberry Awards List now: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bo ... dalwinners
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
dreamalittledream
Currently Reading: Pure Soapmaking
Bookshelf Size: 1586

Post by dreamalittledream »

I was going to say, hands down, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman but you don't enjoy fantasy. Then Holes which you have already read. haha Anyways, you may like the book Wringer by Jerry Spinelli but it won the Newbery Honor award and not the gold medal. I wish I could be more helpful. Good Luck!
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I have similar taste, and I really enjoyed Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It’s older—probably at least 30 years old, but I think it has aged pretty well.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”