Space opera horror suggestions?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
TheWizzaardd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Space opera horror suggestions?

Post by TheWizzaardd »

I just started reading Stephen King and it turns out I am a fan. I read a few of his short storries and I am on book three of the dark tower series. I really like the melding of sci fi and horror. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a more space opera horror series or book. I love scifi, so if you have scifi horror suggestions i will take them as well. I just prefer the backdrop of space to ye olde earth.

I dont think i can do the whole dark tower series in one go so I will be reading the Revelation space series by Alastair Reynolds in between when I need a break from Roland and his damn tower.

The generas I like are horror, scifi, space operas, suspense, mystery, and thrillers.

I think one of the things that bugs me with a lot of scifi is the clean pristine happy universe they are set in such as startrek, but dont get me wrong i love star trek. I just feel the universe would be a much scarier, terrifying, dark, and horrible place and i would like to read something that reflects that.

I have read a few Michael Crichton books and thought they were great. Sphere is one of my faves and will probably reread it soon, been a while. Like I said in the title I am looking for a more space opera feel, with action and adventure but a healthy dose of terror and suspense. Like if star trek alien and sphere had a child.

So if any of you have suggestions for a space opera horror mystery thriller i would love to hear it. A scifi horror thriller in space would be appreciated as well.

Sorry for the long post, kinda rambled, if im confusing ill clarify in the comments.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Look into The Expanse series. Don't know the author, but the tv series is based on it. Might be worth looking at.

I haven't read it, but watched the first season and it's not all 'shiney-happy'.

Also, try Simon R. Green.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Try Peter F. Hamilton. A lot of Alistair Reynolds fans like him as well. Personally I found him claw your eyes out dull, but then I only read one, Pandora's Star. I'm trying to think of more but the only sci-fi horror coming to mind at the moment are movies, like Alien and Event Horizon!
TheWizzaardd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheWizzaardd »

CaitlynLynch wrote:Try Peter F. Hamilton. A lot of Alistair Reynolds fans like him as well. Personally I found him claw your eyes out dull, but then I only read one, Pandora's Star. I'm trying to think of more but the only sci-fi horror coming to mind at the moment are movies, like Alien and Event Horizon!

Both of which are great movies. Event horizon gave me nightmares for a week the first time I saw it. Ill have to check out hamilton, and avoid that one book till I know if I like him or not.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Do you guys know, The Fifth Element (movie)?.... The title just made me laugh so hard lol... I don't know what a space opera is but there's a scene in the movie where the alien is singing opera in space.
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

For a 'dark' sci-fi with a horror aspect to it, I think Providence by Max Barry would be the perfect fit for you. In it, the universe is a much scarier and less friendly place than a Star Trek-like universe. It's a story set on board a spaceship. It is pretty scary (at least I thought it was). I don't know that I would call it 'space opera' since there are only 4 main characters, but it's really fascinating and it completely grabbed my attention all the way through.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”