Looking for something different to read.

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
moncada
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for something different to read.

Post by moncada »

Hello Folks,

I'm looking for something completely different to read at night before I go to bed and I'm hoping I can get some good recommendations in here. I read a lot but my problem is that its always work/career related, science and engineering journals, biography and self-help books . This time I want to find something that would help me relax at night and get my head off work and off my normal train of tough. I really don't mind if its non-fiction or fiction. Also English is not my first language so I would prefer something that is easy to ready (still want it in English though).

A bit about my self (hopefully this way I can get something that would interest me more): I'm 28 years old from Mexico but currently living in Texas, USA. I'm a mechanical engineer and a very outdoor/active person.

Thanks for taking the time,
Alejandro
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like you need a good fiction that will help you to escape your mind and into the world of someone or something else.

If you like mysteries, I would recommend any book by Dan Brown. His books have authentic protagonists and there are so many puzzles and twists to his stories that will keep your brain too busy to think about work. It's also educational because there is so much historical content in them as well.

Do you like romance novels? I recommend Jenny Han. There's also TONS of other great romance novelists!

Do you like supernatural thrillers? The book of the month, Raven Peak by Lincoln Cole is very popular right now. You should check it out. It's a series so that will keep you busy for a while.

In general, I just think you should look for a good fiction. Whenever I'm stressed or want to escape my own head, I pick up a book so I can get into some one elses.

Hope you find what you're looking for and I hope I helped! :)
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I had a list of recommendations in my head until I got to the part about you being in Texas. Do you like urban fantasy/paranormal stories? I enjoyed Charlaine Harris' Midnight, Texas trilogy. I recently re-read after having spent time in Texas myself and like how well she portrayed some of the cultural aspects in Texas (I live in Indiana so some things can be very different).
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

If you want something with a good outdoors feel to it I recommend Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

Can you list any books that you've read that you've enjoyed?
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
interrupted_girl
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by interrupted_girl »

I recommend Woody Allen books if you want to stop the thinking mind and just laugh . Currently I am reading his The Insanity Defense before dozing off and it is hilarious!
✌️
Beautyandtheblog
Currently Reading: The Silence of the Lambs
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautyandtheblog.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Beautyandtheblog »

Sounds like you need something that you're not used to. Something to take your mind off the world and escape for a while. Try some fantasy? You can't go wrong with some Harry Potter or the Game of Thrones series (although it's a loooong read). Those types of books will definitely get your mind off the world for a while :) If you're looking for something standalone, maybe something more suspenseful like Dean Koontz or Stephen King.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

If you are looking for something easy to read before bed I would recommend a genre called "cozy" mysteries. They're shorter, simple mysteries usually set in an interesting location. There is one series I've seen where the main character works in a chocolate shop.
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

why not try action based fiction books
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I was looking for something different too and I started to read a religious book. And it really did the trick. It's called "Who Told You That You Were Naked?". I also did a review for it. I think that if you want to go to sleep relaxed and peaceful, this book is a great choice.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

It sounds like you should just get some sort of fun fiction book to read. I like Roald Dahl and Louis Sachar 's children's books. They're usually humorous, have some action at times and are light but easy reads but also spiritful imo.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I want to read books that makes me positive and teaches me how to improve my life. I also want to know that under which genre these type of books come?
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Eric Hrahsel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eric Hrahsel »

aha,, i am reading all the recommendations here now,, Dan Brown is good,, no arguing
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
MorganReadsBooks
Currently Reading: The 100 Best Poems of All Time
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morganreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by MorganReadsBooks »

I've really been enjoying graphic novels. They're a great way to read an engaging story in kind of a lighter more condensed form of reading. I recommend the March trilogy about the U.S civil rights movement, Persepolis which is a memoir about the author growing up in war torn Iran and also the Death Note manga series is very addicting.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”