Know any good historical or political fiction?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
JoshuaDLambert
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Know any good historical or political fiction?

Post by JoshuaDLambert »

Hey everyone! :tiphat: I'm a huge historical and political fiction buff, and I'm looking for some new works to read! I know about and have read a lot of Ann Rinaldi, but from there, I'm stuck! :eusa-think:
kc3po311
Currently Reading: Letters for Dad
Bookshelf Size: 688
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kc3po311.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by kc3po311 »

Tom Clancy. My dad always loved his books
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

Try Watergate by Thomas Mallon. I enjoyed that book immensely. He also wrote Finale about the Reagan years, but I liked it less.
Frances Ilnicky
Favorite Book: All We Ever Wanted
Currently Reading: A Piece of the World
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Frances Ilnicky »

Just completed Mark Sullivan's Beneath a Scarlet Sky:A Novel.
It's good!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

The Heart of Redness by Zakes Mda! This is a fictional book based on the South African Xhosa tribes history and their battle against oppression. It is shows two different time periods, the events in the 19th century and modern day South Africa. It's a great read!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I haven't read much in the way for historical fiction. As for political fiction, I would say my favorite has been The Iron Heel by Jack London.
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

Try Honolulu by Alan Brennert. Being a his-fic buff myself, I loved that book and couldn't gather why it isn't as popular as it's counterparts. Also I've heard Moloka'i by the same author is amazing. Good luck!
Justinian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Justinian »

The Ill-made Knight by Christian Cameron is a great piece of historical fiction and a fun read. His characters are actually real people for the most part, it's set during the Hundred Years war. The author has a pretty good understanding of medieval warfare and combat, and he's also written a few historical fiction pieces set in ancient Greece.
Zoey
Currently Reading: Sharing Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modern-moses.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Zoey »

Yay! Historical Fiction is one of my ultimate favorite genres. I would suggst 'In Farleigh Fields' by Rhys Bowen. It si my favorite of all times at the present moment. One of two, actually. It is so difficult to choose :P

The book is about a British family during World War II. I do not want to spoil the book by sharing too many details, but it is a story of betrayal, love, and loyalty. A strange combination of things, but you will certainly not be disappointed. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!
Never judge a book by its movie.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Farewell to Manzanar, The Things they Carried, and Fires on the Plain are three books based on historical events, all tied to a war but also each bring up some interesting questions of the rights of people and the impact of war on civilian and soldier alike. I liked all three.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Try Wolf Hall, by Hillary Mantel. It features England in the time of Henry VIII and focusses on the work of Thomas Cromwell. It is both historical and political fiction and so fits your requirements quite well. I must warn you that I didnt like it personally as I am not a fan of the genre. It came very highly recommended to me (won the Man Booker etc) and so just passing it on.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Creating Serenity
Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creating-serenity.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Creating Serenity »

This may be the popular choice but I absolutely love to read Philipa Gregory. I have not read all of the Tudor series but working on it and they are amazing! Political as well, but maybe not what you're looking for in that arena. Still, fantastically accurate with minor character add ins that give the stories more feeling.

Lots of recommendations! Enjoy!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Anirudh Badri wrote:Try Wolf Hall, by Hillary Mantel. It features England in the time of Henry VIII and focusses on the work of Thomas Cromwell. It is both historical and political fiction and so fits your requirements quite well. I must warn you that I didnt like it personally as I am not a fan of the genre. It came very highly recommended to me (won the Man Booker etc) and so just passing it on.
Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring up the Bodies, could easily work for historical/political cravings. They're both loved by critics. The writing style is stream of consciousness. This gets confusing because the author decided not to use Thomas's name when narrating his thoughts and actions. She just calls Thomas "him" or "he" which is confusing when there are a few male characters around. It took me a while to get used to it. However, I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I didn't love the Tudor time period so much.
Creating Serenity
Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creating-serenity.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Creating Serenity »

I've had Wolf Hall sitting on my bookshelves for something close to two years maybe. I didn't realize it had a sequel now as well. I am going to have to finally get to that one! I love the Tudor period as well so I will have to get to this one soon. Those TBR piles just don't go away!
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

The Kingmaker's daughter by Philippa Gregory is really good, it's centered in 15th century England. I also enjoyed Half of a yellow sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie which is abiut the Biafran war in Nigeria
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”